Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I would like to plug my electric guitar into my Mac (G5 dual

I would like to plug my electric guitar into my Mac (G5 dual 2,5 mhz running tiger) so that I can play along with itunes. Is that possible and what would i need in hardware and software? Thanks for any help. Tim
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for contacting JustAnswer. Yes, this is possible to do, but you're not going to want to use iTunes. Garage Band is a simple recording and tracking program for Mac that is included with all new Macs as part of the iLife suite. It will be easier to connect your guitar to your computer if you purchase a USB guitar input. I did a good search for "USB Guitar Input" and found a variety of products in several price ranges. You should be aware that your guitar probably won't sound that good unless you are using an AMP simulating pedal or device available from companies like Line6 and Boss.

On another note, consider upgrading your Mac to OS X Leopard (10.5). It offers significant enhancements over Tiger, and will offer better compatibility with newer versions of iLife and other software that you might want to run on your system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. Rather than record, I just want to accompany tracks on itunes, much the way I did with my stereo when my guitar had an amp.
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Garage band will allow you to do this, but iTunes will not. You might be able to use some other software in the background running with iTunes, but I'm not aware of anything in particular.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments