Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

HI, I am setting up Mac mini with OSX server. I am not sure

HI, I am setting up Mac mini with OSX server.
I am not sure what the correct mail settings should be.
Can anyone help
This issue is rather complex to explain. I just checked for a DNS record for a system called and it doesn't exist. Let's check a few things first:

1. Does the domain "" belong to you?
2. If yes, do you know where the DNS is hosted for this domain?
3. If 1 and 2 are yes, then you need to add an "A Record" to your domain which will tell other machines where to find your server

There are some alternatives, why don't you answer a few questions for me:

1. Where will this server be used (small office, home office, etc)? How many machines are there?
2. Do you currently have any public IP addresses for your network? If so, how many?
3. Do you need to be able to access this system from anywhere on the internet, or just on your local network?
4. What services do you plan on using this server for? Are you going to be hosting mail for your entire domain? Are you hosting mail for "", or a different domain name?

Answer these and I can help you get your server set up correctly for the purposes you are setting it up for.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I host the domain form an external server.

Yes a DNS is hosted for this domain.

I have yet to modify the external DNS record ''' to point to the public static ip that belongs the the orchard business modem. But this should'nt affect the connection to the apple server on the local network should it?

There will be about 6 computers connecting to this server.

We have only 1 static public ip.

remote access will be required.

We had an SBS server in the location this apple server is going.

We were just using the internal pop to pull down all emails to the sbs serverexchange, but you cant do that on the apple. I am having trouble getting my head around this apple system.

I am so use to the microsoft echange.

Ok. You've got a fairly complex upgrade, but its manageable.

So, the current problem is that you cannot get the local systems to "see" the new server. This is because you haven't set up the correct DNS records in order for the internal systems to know where they can find It seems ironic that they can't find this system even tho they are on the same network, but this is the reality of DNS.

I've got one more question before I make my recomendations. Are there any laptops on this network that access services from the LAN and from home? Are you planning on having them use a VPN to connect, or just access the mail server using IMAP? (Just put POP3 out of your mind from now on, its a crappy protocol invented in the days of 300 baud modems and 4 kilobyte e-mails).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Thanks.

Yes there will be 3 laptops 2 of them apple 1 ibm.

they will be required to have access to mail.

1 of them may need a vpn connection.

Ok. Here I'm working up your solution with screenshots right now, I'll get back to you shortly.
You need to enable the DNS service on your OSX server. Do so as follows:

Then configure a DNS zone that the computers on your network will use so that they'll know where things are on your network. I set up one the way you would do yours:

Don't allow the zone to transfer, you don't want it to get off your network.

Now add a machine record. You're going to need to add one of these for every machine on the network that should have a name for people to identify it. You'll also have to add your website IP address as an A record as well for the machines on your network to be able to get access to the website. Any internet address that you are already using tied to this domain name will need an A record.

Ok, now you need to make the following change in your System Preferences>Network. The server should have a static IP address, and it should have its own IP listed as "DNS Server" as I have done below. Ignore the and addresses shown there, you don't need those on yours. Your IP address is obviously different from mine, but you should get the idea that you just need to be plugging your IP address in everywhere you are seeing mine.

Finally, make sure whatever machine on your network that is currently doing DHCP is using the IP address of your server so that it tells all the clients on your network to get DNS from the right place. If you can't follow the instructions as I've shown them, then you probably just need to hire a professional to set the server up. If I were doing this for a client it'd probably only cost them about $200 USD.