Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I recently replaced the main hard drive in my G5 Quad because

I recently replaced the main hard drive in my G5 Quad because the old one died. Before this, the second hard drive, in drive bay B worked fine. Now my computer doesn't see it at all (not even with Disk Utility or DiskWarrior). I've checked the connections (the SATA cable and the power) a zillion times. Any other ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Try another SATA port, or try yanking the drive and using an external SATA enclosure or adapter. If you've got a lot of drives failing, it could indicate a problem with your G5.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, makes sense. I don't have another SATA port (the boot drive is in the other one) and I'm not sure if I have a working enclosure around, but I'll look. I did, actually have another drive (external, USB) fail recently, too (on top of the main SATA one). What kind of problem might I be looking at, with lots of drives failing? Time for a check up with Apple?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
The USB drive operates on a different bus than the SATA ones do, so its unlikely that a hardware glitch caused that failure. What do you use these drives for? If you're doing a lot of video editing, or something else that requires a lot of random seeking and writing, then your typical consumer grade drives will burn out more often than on a system that is just used for basic tasks.

A basic check by someone with some Apple service experience would be fine, but might not really identify any specific problems. For now, see if you can find another enclosure (or another Mac) that you could put that drive in and see if its recognized.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments