loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

I have been unable to successfully send emails for the last

Customer Question

I have been unable to successfully send emails for the last several days. What could be my problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 6 years ago.

I'm John. You didn't say which email program you were using when attempting to send email. Is it possible for you to try setting up the same email account under a different email program? For instance, if you're currently using Mac Mail, you can go to the following URL to download another free, yet widely used mail client called Thunderbird:

After you've installed and configured the secondary email client, please close the one you're currently using and try sending email using the other mail client. If this still doesn't fix your issue, please try creating another user account within System Preferences and see whether the problem follows the profile or not.

One other thing you can try is to try repairing your disk permissions. From time to time, as you perform software updates, install new software, etc. permissions can be set improperly causing applications and other processes to function improperly. To perform a disk repair, go to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD from the top left and then click the button Repair Disk. Depending on how fast your machine is and when the last time it was you performed this operation will determine how long it takes. Could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so - your mileage may vary.

Please let me know whether this helped.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi John. I tried the Utility fix, but that didn't seem to work. I'm not sure what you mean when you asked which email program I was using. I'm obviously not very well versed in my laptop operation. In any case, as I see it, I'm using Mac. email, as my preferences show Di's mac email.Mac. I have no problem receiving emails, just can't get mine to fly. I've tried to send original emails as well as forwarding them.

That's ok, you don't have to be very well versed. So it sounds like you're using the native email client simply called Mail. Have you ever been able to successfully send email? If so, what has changed since your last successful attempt, if anything? What error messages are you receiving when you attempt to send the emails? Just out of curiosity, have you rebooted since the problem began?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing has changed since my last successfully sent email which appears to have been 1-27-10. I first had the problem 1-28 or 1-29-10, to present. I have not been receiving any notices as to why they are not being sent. I have been using the same email program since receiving this laptop...probably near 3 years ago. And yes, I did reboot after first noticing the problem. Should I completely shut down after ever use? I usually just let it go to sleep. But, as I said, I did completely shut down, & rebooted it.

Please attempt the following:

1) Click Finder, open Applications, then System Preferences
2) Within System Preferences window, click Accounts
3) If you see a lock that looks like it is closed, click the lock icon and enter your password XXXXX will permit you to make changes. If the lock looks "unhasped", then proceed to the next step
4) From the bottom left, just above the lock icon, click the + symbol to add an Account
5) For New Account, click the dropdown and choose Administrator; for Name, type the word clean. Do the same for Short Name.
6) Choose a password XXXXX's easy to remember and enter it in the Password XXXXX Verify password XXXXX
7) Go ahead and type a Password XXXXX in case you need help remembering
8) If you have a checkbox for FileVault protection, leave it unchecked and click Create Account
9) After you have created your new account, go ahead and close all open windows as though you're about to shut down the machine, but don't shut it down. Instead, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen and choose Logout
10) From the Login prompt, type clean for the Name and enter your password XXXXX Step 6
11) After you have successfully logged in, open your Mail program and fill in the necessary information so that you can test sending email. If you need to, you can jot down the settings from the Mail Account settings used in your main account login
12) After Mail has been setup, try to send email using this new account and please report your results here.

Please let me know if I've been unclear and don't hesitate to ask me for details or further clarification if need be.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi John. My laptop froze up last night & I had to force quit. I just gave up for the night. I haven't checked the email situation yet, so I don't know if it's fixed yet. I do appreciate you help & will let you know if things are back to normal.

Thanks for the update and please let me know what you find out when you're able.