Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

I purchased a G4 without an operating system. Im trying to

Customer Question

I purchased a G4 without an operating system. I'm trying to install Macosx snow leopard without any success. All I'm getting is a file folder flashing on the screen. Is my hard drive toast?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
Please DO NOT Accept the answer as it is not a positive solution to your request UNLESS you feel I have helped you in some way by relaying this information. I feel it necessary to put this here because my answer is not a solution, rather a confirmation. If you do feel this answer is worthy of acceptance, by all means, please click the Accept button. I just want you to realize this up front.

Unfortunately, Snow Leopard requires another Mac OS X already installed on the system. It's not a complete OS, it's only an upgrade. You'll need to *purchase* a retail version of 10.5 Leopard, install that on the mac, then upgrade to Snow Leopard. I can't condone borrowing a copy of Leopard to do the install, but if you have a copy that you've used on another mac, you can install Leopard from this as long as it is a "Retail" copy and not a "Native" copy. A Retail copy was purchased as a stand alone operating system and can be installed on any computer. A Native copy is one that shipped with a computer from Apple. The native copy will only work with the exact model and specs on the machine it was made for.

I'd also suggest you make sure the mac is compatible and capable of running Snow Leopard. It must meet the minimum requirements for processor speed and processor type. Snow Leopard will not run on a PowerPC.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.