Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

i HAVE TRIED A REBOOT TECHNOCS FOR MACBOOPRO, AND STILL GET

Customer Question

My macbook pro screen freezes on apple and white screen upon opening.

I have tried a number of suggestions from Mac website.Reboot from button, or holding C, or holding Alt key on during start to kick the disc open.

I have managed to backup documents from drive using another mac to my mac.

Nothing is working.

PLease help.

Sharon

Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You've got another Mac, and I'm assuming a firewire cable right? Did you try running Disk Utility on the other Mac and having it verify/repair the drive in the Macbook?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No i didnt- took a back up this way, but didnt realise I could run disk utility. makes sense now you state that.
will try now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Just tried repair and came back as follows:
Verifying volume “SHARON Mac HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume SHARON Mac HD appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification

Verify and Repair disk “SHARON Mac HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
No repairs were necessary

Still doesnt open........
What issues could this be.
THe Mac wont reboot with disks either.
S
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Hmm, you're saying it won't boot off the DVD drive either? Does it start booting on the DVD (like you can hear the DVD being read continuously, they're pretty noisy)? If its not booting on the installation DVD then there is either a problem with the drive, or a major problem with the computer. Let's try a couple things just for kicks:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Also try resetting the PMU by doing the following:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Then try to boot it up on the DVD. If it won't boot, its going to require hardware repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi PAT,
before you replied I retired booting from Disc, got it to install disk 1, but would not load disk 2 and froze again and shut down.
Have tried your first suggestion 4 times and nothing.
Next, Just tried holding down D key on startup too to hardware test, and it kicked into this mode.
Read as follows:
Hardware profile-
macbookPro3,1
Intel core duo
2.20
Boot ROM version MBP31.88Z.0070.B07.0803051658
Serial: W872458QX91SMS version 1.16F11

TEST RESULT read:
Alert! detected and error
4YDC/1/40000003: videocontroller

I am in progress of Longer hardware test so will let you know shortly.
if no success will do you last suggestion

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Long test showed same error of video controller. Is this an expensive repair?
Your last suggestion did not work either.
Where to from here?
Sharon
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Well, you have to replace the motherboard if that is the case. The motherboard probably costs anywhere from $200 to $600 depending on where you can find it. It also takes someone with my experience about 5 hours to swap the motherboard out. At this point, you probably would be better off replacing the machine. If it is still under warranty, you can send it into Apple for repair. If its not, then getting a used one on Ebay is likely to be about the same cost as having it repaired.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
PAt, I did invest in replacing the motherboard. you were correct in the diagnosis so thank you for helping.
Not sure where to put my feedback or rating for you. but your expertise and instruction is great.
Sharon, NZ