Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Dear Just Answer, I have a MacBookPro with 10.4.11. Ive

Customer Question

Dear Just Answer,

I have a MacBookPro with 10.4.11.

I've received an attachment with the new suffix: .docx

It shows up on my desktop, when I save it, as a zip file, it does not open. Instead it duplicates itself with a new longer suffix: .docx.cpgz

What to do?

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Robert Cutler
[email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Hi Robert,

The DOCX format is the new Microsoft Word format that is readable by Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows.

So if you already have a copy of Office 2004 for Mac you will need a special plugin to allow you to open the document in your existing copy of Office which iis included in the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.0 Update Package http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B6D69814-0995-490D-909A-5EC6AE6F64F0&displaylang=en

If you do not have Office 2004 or 2008 then your only option would be to use a converter like the free online DOCX converter here http://www.docx-converter.com/ and then use it to convert the DOCX file to a TXT file which your Mac can then open and use.

Take a look and let me know if you need more info or clarification

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Eric,

I downloaded the plug in but nothing happened: i tried to open the docx zip attachment saved on my desktop and it continued to duplicate itself and add .cpgz at the end.

now what ????
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me what version of office you have and what program you are using to handle your zip files?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have word 11.2 - is that a help?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Can you download and install the free version of Stuffit expander from here http://download.cnet.com/StuffIt-Expander-2010/3000-2250_4-10653042.html

Once it is downloaded can you then restart your Mac and then see if you can now double click the ZIP file and see the contents of the compressed file

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I downloaded stuff it as recommended, put it into applications on my hard drive, restarted the computer, and unfortunately nothing. the docx keeps doing the same when double clicked.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Can you follow the instructions from this XXXXX XXXXX article and use it to select the ZIP file then associate it with stuffit http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_associate_a_file_with_an_application.html

Once you are done let me know if the file will now open

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks but no go. Under File, there was no Show Info, so i struck out again.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

How are you getting the DOCX files?

Is it by email, and if so are you saving the attachment to your machine before you try and open it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes. they arrive as attachments and i can't open them when attached, nor can i open them when saved to my desktop.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

When you save them to the desktop can you change their default program?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
don't know what that is but pls tell me and i'll try.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

When you get the attachment in your email can you save it (Drag and drop the attachment) to yur desktop and once it is on your desktop can you then use the instructions in the link I gave you earlier to set the file association with stuffit and then let me know if you can open the file from your desktop.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The XXXXX XXXXX instructions? i did try them. Once single clicked In Finder, but under File, there is no Show info. foiled again.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

In that case cna you try dragging the ZIP file from your desktop over the stuffit icon and tell me what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

re this idea

i tried that but when i did, the stuff it icon didn't like it. A message appeared saying: 'The NZ Prospects .docx" could not be moved because "Stuffit 2010 cannot be modified.'

??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Stuffit didn't work.

Thanks for suggestion.

Asked my free lance tech person this am; she sent me the link for the fix. Bingo.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/03/tuaw-tips-open-docx-files-with-office-04/

Now you know and can fix it quickly when asked.