Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Mac with OS 10.4.11. My friends might consider me

Customer Question

I have a Mac with OS 10.4.11. My friends might consider me a semi-luddite, but really I'm just not that good at technology. Right now I am using Opera as my backup browser. Here's my trouble with Safari, my preferred browser. I accidentally magnified the desktop because I was writing a document in Open Office. By the time I undid that cluster error, I had severely injured Safari. When I launch Safari from the dock it apparently opens but I can not see a window. When I click on Help for Safari I still do not have a window to read. Please HELP a poor high school French teacher. Merci!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
The easy fix is press and hold the 'Option (Alt)', 'Command(Apple)' then press the number 8 key.
This toggles zoom on and off, I think you have it on and zoomed in so that things are very hard to see.
The System Preference for this is in Universal Access.
graphic
Your question says the desktop and that is the zoom feature above.
If it is just Safari then if it opens then press and hold the 'Command' key and press the minus - key to zoom out while in Safari or 'Command' + to zoom in.
Please let me know if this answers your question, if it does not then more detail is needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to System Preferences, then Universal Access.
I set Zoom to Off, and then applied that setting.
I closed System Preferences.

I went to the Dock and clicked on Safari. Safari has three windows open to my home page, Google (I don't know if their another search engine that is as extensive but I worry about Google being Big Brother).

The proble is in viewing Safari. I tried applying your answer

“If it is just Safari then if it opens then press and hold the 'Command' key and press the minus - key to zoom out while in Safari or 'Command' + to zoom in. “

Right now I am using Opera and can see windows (“tiles”?) when I open Opera 10.10 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6. However, I don't see any windows for Safari. I don't know If I've somehow pushed it off the screen or made it invisible.

When I launch Safari from the Dock, the icon usually bounces 2 or 3 times but currently it only has one bounce.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Press the Command key down and then just tap the Tab key. You will see a row of open applications, if you tap the Tab key it will jump from one to the next.
See if Safari is one of them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep. It shows the open applications: Safari, Opera, Finder, Help and Open Office
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
So Safari is open just no window, perhaps it is hidden.
I suggest a restart from the Apple menu. This should reset Safari so it shows.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am willing to Restart from the Apple menu and to find out if that will work. However, I do not want to lose the chat with you and you end up not getting your fee. That would reflect badly on my character.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That's easy, bookmark this or do not delete the email thread.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. I have bookmarked this:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/33acp-i-have-a-mac-with-os-10-4-11-my-friends-might-consider-me

I will use Restart from the Apple Menu and come back in a few moments.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have Restarted. I'm using Opera as my browser for this chat. I have also launched Safari and Firefox. Opera and Firefox show me windows. I've opened Safari once from the Dock and closed it; once from Applications and closed it. Still no window I can view for Safari.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no more time to dedicate to this problem for now. If there is an email update, I will try to reply later. Thank you for working on the problem.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I suggest using Firefox to goto Apple and downloading Safari.
Can you tell me why you think you did something to break it?
Can you tell me what you did when it went bad?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have just now used Firefox to download and install Safari 4.0.4 to my Applications folder. I opened the applications once from the Applications folder, no window. Once from the Dock. Same result, no window for Safari. I can see a window in Opera or Firefox but no window in Safari.

THE PATH OF WOE: While using Open Office, I tried to increase the magnification of the wordprocessing document; my middle-ages eyes can't read 8point text when the document is reduced. Unfortunately, I used some keystrokes similar to the PCs we use in our public school classrooms. RESULTANT WOE: the desktop was grossly magnified. That continued as a problem for about an hour. Finally I got the desktop back to normal magnification. By then, I had led Safari into the valley of the shadow of invisibility.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, try this.
Open a Finder window.
graphic
Follow the path in the image.
First quit Safari so that it will make a new plist when you next open it.
Then open a Finder window/Small house/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist and drag the plist to the trash.
Now open Safari again and see if will appear.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
EUREKA! There it is. Safari 4.0.4 in all its mundane, work-a-day, humble, hand-to-the-plow glory. I know you didn't use voodoo since you're a friend to Jesus. So, praise the Lord for brothers who have understanding and wisdom. . . . . The pages open fine in Safari but it won't show a window for Safari Help.....
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I guess I don't get it.
Did it get fixed or did it not?
What do you mean pages open but no window? You don't get this?
graphic
If Safari shows in the menu bar then under File select New Window.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You fixed Safari. I'm using it right now. . . . . . Maybe the next problem is for another day. In Safari when I click on "Safari Help (command)? " I can read "Help Viewer" at the top of the screen but a new window does not open for "Safari Help".
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Is this what you are talking about?
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for all our help. Kudos for helping your wife maintain her Macs at school. Your one of the unsung heroes helping the next generation of Americans become thoughtful citizens. Agape.
Neal
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Agape, Thank you.