iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Hi Im working on a Mac Power PC G5, OS 10.4.11. In the

Hi

I'm working on a Mac Power PC G5, OS 10.4.11. In the last couple of days I have not been able to launch Illustrator CS2. It hangs up while initializing or loading fonts. I use Suitcase Fusion 12.1.7. These programs have been loaded and functioning well for many months. The only recent update has been to Adobe Acrobat which I downloaded last week. Can you help?? Thanks, Susan
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist you with this .

Please can you download and install this apple combo updater , this should iron out any problems with the OSX install if this is the problem although it maybe due to the CS2 update , it is always best to update any Mac computer from the Combo updates as they are later updates , with much more testing and makes for a better installation.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL17

Also after the install and reboot , perform the permissions repair and Mac HD repair as described below :-

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with startup volume OSX

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Repairing permissions may help the installer / Application , and fix this issue .

-

Please let me know , you may also like to run a full disk check with a tool such as
Drive genius to trouble shoot this problem:-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX ,
and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

I hope this helps.

Thanks .

-

Please can reply and provide me full details of any additional extras like memory that was installed .

This still maybe the CS2 install that's causing problems ,

I await your reply ,

Thanks .
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure why I should download the combo you mentioned. I am already operating on 10.4.11. I have not recently upgraded CS2 and I was using the program without any difficulty until several days ago when it started crashing on launch. It seems there must be some other issue.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,

Yes , but if you used System software update to update one by one there maybe possible inconsistency in the OSX overall install .

The combo updater is a good place to start to trouble shoot this problem and it's easy to install it wont effect any settings of your set up, its also good for your Mac and ensures all components are installed and there are no unseen errors with the OSX installation or parts missing .

The next step would possibly be a full reinstall of all your CS2 applications after the Combo update if there is no change in the problem.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This will take time. I may have to get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ok , no problem ,

The combo update doesn't take that long to install , 20mins or so .

thanks .