Jeff Micono
Jeff Micono, VMware Certified Professional
Experience:  20+ years with PCs, Macs, Linux
28398210

I thought I had sent my question. It was I have a MAC OS

Customer Question

I thought I had sent my question. It was: I have a MAC OS X Version 10.6.2 that also has Windows XP.My Epson Stylus Photo RX595 printer will print on the MAC, but when I switch to Windows and need to print, it indicates that the printer is not connected to the computer. I contacted Epson and they walked me through deleting and trying to reinstall the printer; however, that didn't work and I now can't even find the printer on the Windows operating system. I get a messsage that "this driver is not digitally signed". Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jeff Micono replied 4 years ago.

If you downloaded the Windows XP driver from Epson for your version of Windows XP, you do not need to be concerned with the fact that the driver is not digitally signed -- go ahead and continue the driver installation, reboot Windows XP, and try to add the printer again.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I installed the Epson printer on Windows, tried to print, and was unable to - "this document failed to print" was the reason. This is my problem - there is a communication problem between my computer and the printer and I don't know how to solve it. The printer is shown as the default printer in the control panel and I have updated the driver.What else would you suggest I do?

You've done the right steps. Thanks for the info.

The only other thing that I could think of would be to boot the Boot Camp partition from VMware Fusion. The advantage to this is that you can run Windows side-by-side with OS X. There are two ways to do this. One is to import a copy of the Boot Camp partition and the other is to launch the Boot Camp partition directly from VMware. The import method is safer, but uses more disk space.

If you use VMware, you can use driverless printing. VMware shares the host (OS X) printers with the Virtual Machine. So, in this case, you would actually remove the drivers from Windows XP, and configure the VM for printer sharing. This requires that you install VMware Tools into the Windows XP guest, which is recommended in general.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Micono on 2/2/2010 at 3:40 AM EST
Experience: 20+ years with PCs, Macs, Linux
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have downloaded the VMware Fusion and am uncertain about what to do next. It's late and I'll have to look at this again in the morning. Thank you for your help.

Here's a little bit more assistance:

1) Install VMware Fusion
2) Follow the example explain here with this video:

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff, I have installed VMware but am stuck. I don't have the option to import a copy of Boot Camp Partition. It does not appear as one of my options. What do I do? I now have Parallels as my Windows XP source. Do I need to delete that in some way and if so, will I be able to save my Windows XP information to import Boot Camp Partition? I'm not very computer literate, so you will need to explain this to me in layman's terms.
I guess what I need to know is how do I get to Boot Camp Partition?

Here's the steps from the article above:
  1. Launch Fusion.
  2. From Fusion's menu bar, click Window > Virtual Machine Library.
  3. Ctrl-click the Boot Camp icon in the left column.
  4. Click Import.
  5. Enter an administrator username and password, then click Ok.
  6. When the Import Assistant launches, click Import.

Note: The time it takes for the import process to complete depends on the size of your disk.
  7. When the import is completed, the newly created virtual machine appears in the Virtual Machine Library window
Let's go step by step. I'll assume #1 is OK.
If the library window is not visible, do step #2

You should see this:
graphic
At this point, are you saying there is no Boot Camp icon in the left column?

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. Four boxes are shown: Microsoft Windows XP (actually there are two of these) and Mac OS box, and Microsoft Windows 2007. There is no Boot Camp icon in the library. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you before now - I had to be away for a day, but I'll be here from now on.

I am just about stumped. I am assuming that Boot Camp still works and that you can boot the machine into Windows.

The final thing to try is to do a manual physical to virtual conversion. You'll need an external USB drive such as a FreeAgent Go formatted for use in Windows. Ready?

1) Boot the Mac into Windows XP.
2) Attach the USB drive. It should show up as a new drive letter in Windows.
3) Download and install VMware vCenter Converter.
4) Run vCenter Converter and select the USB drive as the location where vCenter will store the copy of Windows XP.
5) When vCenter is finished, shut down Windows XP
6) Remove the USB drive.
7) Boot the Mac into OS X
8) Attach the USB drive.
9) Copy the folder containing the VMware file you made with Converter to a convenient location on the Mac
10) Run VMware fusion and select [Open...] from the [File] menu and navigate to the .vmx file in the folder you just copied.
11) Start the VM and install VMware tools.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sounds like more than I can handle with my inexperience - will need to get an external USB drive before I can do what you suggest. What do you think happened to the Boot Camp partition? That appeared to be such a simple solution. Do you think that because I have Parallels now on my Mac that it somehow interferes with using the VMware? Thanks.

The steps I laid out seem like a lot, but really all you are doing is downloading a windows app and running it.

I don't think anything happened to the Boot Camp partition -- in fact I'm counting on it being just fine for the procedure above.

I've never had a machine with both Parallels and Fusion installed on it, so I can't comment with certainty on interference issues. I haven't read anything definitive one way or the other about having both installed.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I'll work on this tomorrow after I get the USB drive. Can I find one at Best Buy? I appreciate your help with this and I will let you know as soon as I get this resolved, hopefully tomorrow.

Best Buy has them. I like the FreeAgent Go drives because they are powered from the USB port and are very portable. If possible, get the PC version.

One more thing. On VMware Fusion, when you click [Home] in the left panel, does it explicity say "No Boot Camp Partitions Found"?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Micono on 2/4/2010 at 3:32 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not on the left side, but in faded letters on the right side it shows: "No boot camp partitions found". The other 3 options on the right side in bold letters are:

"Install windows or another operating system in new virtual machine."

"Convert my existing Windows computer to run as a virtual machine on this Mac."

"Download a trial virtual machine."
Understood. Let's proceed with the plan above. Before buying the USB drive, make sure that the Mac still boots into Windows XP.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes,the Mac still boots into Windows XP. Thank goodness! Anyway, I'm going to get the USB drive and willl be back in touch later this afternoon.

Excellent!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the USB drive and booted the Mac to Windows XP. I attached the drive and the icon for FreeAgent Drive appeared on my desktop. I didn't see where I could download the VMware VCenter Converter. I have downloaded the Vware Fusion and don't know what to do next. I get a "Converter failed to convert to remote machine. Login failed due to a bad user name or password" when I try to convert my existing Windows computer to run as a virtual machine on this Mac. What should I do?

The button for the download was on the page I supplied earlier.

Here's the link for VMware vCenter Converter. Download this into Windows XP and install it into Windows XP. Attach the USB drive. Run the Converter (this is step 4 in the procedure above) and keep in that procedure.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I'm on the right track, but it hasn't happened exactly like you instructed. I am at a window where I can import Windows XP to my Mac, but when I try to import it to my USB driver, I get a message "Insufficient permission to access the designated folder. Choose a different folder and try again." What should I do?

Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for being unclear in the instructions above. After we get your VM imported, I would appreciate you critiquing my steps so I don't make the same mistake again when I help the next person.

I am assuming that you have successfully run the vCenter Converter and captured an image of Windows XP onto the USB drive. Now, you have booted into OS X, and are attempting an import into Fusion.

The Mac may only have read-only access to the NTFS formatted USB drive. So, first copy the folder containing the Windows XP image to the desktop, and them import into VMware Fusion from the folder on the desktop.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for sticking with me on this. I finally was able to copy Windows XP and booted OS X and am now importing into Fusion (I think). It's going to be another hour before it is entirely imported so I am going to let it continue importing and will check it in the morning. At that time I will try to install VMware tools. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Good news. I will not be checking in until Monday.

Jeff