iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I have a project and its events I am working on IN IMovie 08

Customer Question

I have a project and its events I am working on IN IMovie 08 on an external HD. While working on the project I accidentally unplugged the HD and now I can't play the project at all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with startup volume and all HD hard diks OSX

Hi ,
to check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Repairing permissions may help the installer / Application , and fix this issue .

-

Please let me know , you may also like to run a full disk check with a tool such as
Drive genius to trouble shoot this problem:-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX ,
and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

-

If at this point the project is still unworkable , try the folling to get your movie data back to reconstruct your video .

Broken Imovie or iphoto or IDVD projects .

Retrieve your imovie video , from a Broken imovie file using the Finder.

Solution :-

First try backing up your project copy or duplicate it , and try to open the backup file .
it theres still no working project read on :-

Please note :
Backup your project file firstly :) and then follow these steps below to retrieve data from the broken imovie project file.

1 Locate your project file in the finder ,
normally it will be found in your Home folder / Movies Folder / imovie etc .

2 Right click on the file for the contextual menu

3 Select the show package contents , option in the menu

4 Navigate to contents , resources , assets

5 Hopefully you can find the movie file in one of the folders try the av folder look for file name ending with .mov , format .

6 Drag the file out to a different location , copy it to your desktop or Mac HD.

7 Open with , or Load to VLC or Quicktime to check what the file is ,
play it , and check the file is ok .

Get the VLC player here :-

http://www.videolan.org/

You can then import the movie file back in to a new project to continue working with the file.

If the .mov or video file is broken or you are having problems importing the file back in to imovie then you can try converting the file to DV format using the "MPEG Stream clip" video converter application for OSX

Get MPEG Streamclip here :-

http://www.squared5.com/

I hope this helps.

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 2/1/2010 at 10:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DO I have to do a disk repair on the computer HD even though I am using an external HD for the Imovie events and project?

Also I was wrong and I am using Imovie09 does that matter? When I tried to
Select the show package contents , option in the menu

I was unable to figure out what was meant by navigate to contents, resources, assets.

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
you can carry out the disk checks on all drives while your in disk utilities.

Also by using the Show package contents , you can locate the data inside the project if you need to salvage important clips ?

Just open up all the folders within the Project Using "Show package contents" , and copy anything you see inside it to a new folder on the Mac HD desktop , from there you can open and sift through what you need and don't need , its not an exact art .

You can use VLC or Quicklook to view the salvaged movie clips or photos etc as outlined.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried al your suggestions and none of them have worked. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , it was a salvage mission .

Could you not access any files whatsoever within the Package contents?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I moved the package contents to a folder on my desk top and tried to open them with the VLC player and Quicklook and nothing happens and it appears to load the files but it won't play them.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,

Try taking the files out of the folder , we are looking for files .mov , etc .

There is a possible way to repair the project , but it involves a little hacking and programing to do so .

I can give you a link to overview this if you want to try ?