loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

Im on a MAC with 10.4.11 and use Entourage for my e-mail.

Customer Question

I'm on a MAC with 10.4.11 and use Entourage for my e-mail. It is currently stuck with a spinning ball. What can I do?

MKF
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Sorry you're having trouble with your Entourage client. Unless you're sure about the effects, I would suggest not removing preferences. It's quite possible that the data you've removed is causing Entourage to respond improperly. Typically, when I have the spinning ball problem, I end the process using Activity Monitor or "ps" from the command line. To get to Activity Monitor, open Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor. From the new window, select to sort by process name, find Entourage from the list and select it. You can either right-click the process or, after having highlighted it, click "Quit Process" from the top left. If you'd like, I can try to help you rebuild the preferences and any other files you may have deleted, provided you're able to tell me what data is missing.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if I've helped or how I can further assist.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not work. The spinning ball happens when Entourage tries to connect and download my e-mail. So, it seems like something is stuck in the download part. I would reinstall Entourage but I have a ton of e-mails I haven't looked at and others that I was saving. I've tried to grab these and save them to my desktop but I have only a couple of seconds after starting the program before it tries to download and then freezes. I've switched to MAC Mail for the moment in order to get and send e-mail but I rather like using Entourage plus I need many of the e-mails that are currently stored there.

MKF
Ah, ok, so the plot thickens. It sounds like Entourage is simply having issues with a message that's either in your outbox or server-side (remotely). Have you checked your outbox to ensure there are no messages awaiting delivery? Is it possible for you to check the server-side emails using something such as http://webmail.comcast.net or whatever source for email you're using? Perhaps it's just a single message on the server that's causing Entourage's confusion.
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing in the outbox and I did go online to my Comcast mail thinking there was a particular message that was messing things up. I cleaned them all out. And after I dumped the Entourage preferences yesterday and opened it up again, it momentarily downloaded a few messages and then got stuck again. It is now stuck showing one message to download. Yesterday it showed three, which I think it successfully did download those when it worked for a few seconds. For a while it was giving me a minute before getting stuck, saying is was going to download in less than a minute. So, I think it definitely has to do with downloading. But now it is stuck again with one message. I have four mailboxes that it has to cycle through. If I could somehow save all my messages, wouldn't just reinstalling Entourage probably fix things?
MKF
Well, without knowing the root cause, it's hard to say whether reinstalling Entourage would cure what's ailing it. Are you able to pinpoint which account it's hanging on? Have you tried toggling "Work Offline"? It definitely sounds like an Entourage problem and not a profile/message problem. One other question that comes to mind - do you have ANY other applications running at the time Entourage is running? This includes any sort of Launch Bar, Butler, Quicksilver, etc. In other words, try shutting down everything running on your Mac EXCEPT Entourage and see whether that changes things at all.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I take it back. There is a message hung up in the outbox. I thought I had checked that but I looked again. Now my problem is that i don't seem to have enough time before things freeze to get to it and delete it. I'll keep trying though and report back.

MKF
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Success!!!! I had my husband send me a bunch of e-mails which seemed to give me time to get to the outbox and delete the hung up e-mail before things froze. So, you had the answer after all. Many thanks. Do I just hit accept now?

MKF
Awesome news! I'm really glad to hear you finally found it! If you could, please click Accept.

Many thanks and congrats!