Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a G4. The master drive crashed. I installed a new

Customer Question

I have a G4. The master drive crashed. I installed a new one but when I try to install the OS system (I have 9.2 and X) it freezes and will not complete the installation.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
It would help if you told me what the error message is.
Have you formatted the drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan,
I am not at my computer right now. Can I format the drive without the OS being installed? I will check error messages and get back to you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You use the Disk Utility on the instal disk to format.
I will be here, if I don't get back to you when you reply it means that I am away from my computer for a short.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try this afternoon and get back to you.

Thanks!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will be watching for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I seem to get a different set of messages every time I try. Here is one of them:
Unresolved kernel trap)cpu1): 0x400 - Inst access DAR=0x012b0000 PC=0x00000100

Latest crash info for cpu 1: Exception state (sv=0x28a5a800 PC = 0x00000100; MSR=0x4200b030; DAR=0x012b0000; DSISR=0x42000000;LR-0x00000100; R1=0x1891be90; XCP=0x00000010 (0x4 - Inst access)

Backtrace:
0x00210648 0x00000000
backtrace terminated - frame not mapped: 0x00000100

Proceeding backj via exception chain: Exception state (sv=0x28a5a800) previously dumped as "l;atest" state skipping.....

Kernel Version: Darwin Kernel Version 5.3: Thy Jan 24 22:06:02 PST 2002: root:xnu=201.19.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

Memory access exception (1,0,0)

Waiting for remote debugger connection.

Options..... Type
continue.... "c"
reboot.... "r"
kdp panic: kdp_poll

That is what I got one of the times I tried to install OS X. When I tried the OS 9, I just got a message that said it could not continue. I have initialized the disk. I hope all this gobbledy gook means something to you!!!

Thanks!

Kathleen

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
This is what you get when you use Disk Utility to format?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is what I got when tried to install the OS operating system.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets try formatting the drive.
This is done from the install disc. At the welcome screen there will be a menu bar with Utilities in it. Select Disk Utility and do like the images say.
graphic
In this case chose the top one in the list and then follow the instructions.
Try that and let me know if you can do the OS install now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan,

I know I am fairly ingorant about computers, so bear with me just a bit. Which is the install disk? I assumed that I should start with the OS installs. Did I start in the wrong place? I have Disks 1-5 as operating systems backups. I have not yet seen the screen you have shown me. Again, I am not at my G4. I am on dial up at home, so I use another computer for anything that I don't want to take hours to do. I have printed the images you sent and will try again. I will be at this computer for another hour or so. Let me know which disk I need to use.

Thanks

Kathleen
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Start with disc number one of the install discs.
The Disk Utility may look different but will work much the same.
Don't be afraid to explore it, as long as you do not click on Apply or erase or commit then no harm done.
These install instructions are for newer versions but will work much the same.

For installing Tiger, Leopard and SL

Installing 10.4.x, 10.5.x and 10.6 is basically the same and have the same basic options.

There is the Erase and Install which totally wipes the hard drive and installs a new operating system and any additional software that comes with the installation disks that came with the machine.

If you are using a retail version of any OS X then it will include only the basics, no extras like iLife or iWork.

Getting ready to install means backing up any thing that you do not want to risk losing.

Repairing the hard drive with Disk Utility (on the installation DVD), these are done no matter the installation type (Archive and Install, Upgrade, or Erase and install), in the case of upgrade all Apple Software updates should also be done and then repairing the permissions before proceeding with the Upgrade.

Now on to the deed.

install start top.jpg

Start from the DVD with one of the ways listed above.

Here is a description of your choices.

install start bott.jpg

Now select your language and click Continue.

install 2.jpg

At this screen will appear at the top a menu bar with different choices, Utilities being one of them.

If this is a new install on a new hard drive it will need to be formatted.

From Utilities select Disk Utility and then follow the below example.

format typesm.jpg

If you wish more info click more information if not then Continue. Now select the destination you want to instal on (it may take a few minutes for all drives to appear, wait for them).

Some drives may have a yellow triangle with a !, that means that it can not be used to install to for some reason, such as wrong format or wrong partition scheme.

This can be fixed with Disk Utility in the menu bar under Utilities. PPC needs Apple Partition Map and Intel machines need GUID, they are not interchangeable. See above.

The other requirement is it has to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) case on non case sensitive.

The default settings are.

1- If no OS is present then the installer chooses a first time OS install.

2- If there is a previous version then the installer will use Upgrade.

3- If there is a newer version of Mac OS X then it will choose Archive and install.

You can override the default by clicking on 'Options' on the destination screen as shown below.

install 3.jpg

The options are as follows.

archive.jpg

To do an Archive and Install and save you user and network settings, then do the following.

archive choice.jpg

After making your selections then click OK and that takes you back to the destination screen where you click on Continue.

Next is choosing which software packages are installed such as addition languages and fonts or just going with the easy install.

Now click on Done or Continue which ever starts the process.

DO NOT INTERRUPT THE INSTALLATION OR YOU MAY HAVE A HARD TIME RECOVERING.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan,

I started with the first software restore disk and it loaded about 2/3 of the way and froze.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That does not sound good. Check for damage on the CDs, if there is no apparent damage try wiping with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol then try again.
If it fails this time then the disc is bad, the hard drive has failed or the optical drive (CD) has failed, what it comes to at this point is that you have a hardware problem that I cannot fix from here.
I would suggest a hands on Apple tech (a qualified tech) preferably at an Apple store to look at it.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I was afraid it was more than I could handle.

In Him,

Kathleen
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX risen.