Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

My G Wireless Router is not connecting to broadband after I

Customer Question

My G Wireless Router is not connecting to broadband after I switched cable companies. How do I get wireless reception on my Macbook?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
Are you able to connect via the web, if you connect directly through the router?

Are you able to see the network at all in airport on your macbook?

Have you set up the Wireless Router?

Do you have any other computers that are connected to the wireless router?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I get Internet via the router, but Safari was still loading after 10 minutes! Whereas, when I plug the cable modem directly into my Macbook, the internet connection happens immediately.

I AM able to see the router in my AirPort. And, I set up wireless router Monday at

Eventually my roommate in will get a PC desktop that's to be connected to this router.

If I can't speed up the wireless connection, I'm going to have to either re-negotiate my contract with cable company OR switch cable companies! I get 1st month free with current cable co., so I can cancel during that time if unhappy with the service.
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

There are a lot of factors that could be causing the slow speed on the Mac's airport compared to wired directly to the router.

First, there are a few things you can consider to see if they may affect the airport connection on your mac.
1) Interference: large metal furniture, portable phones, microwaves, appliances, cell phones, etc can cause breakdowns in the airport connection.
2) Distance from the router
3) A defective airport card. Are you able to access the web via ethernet cable directly to the router? If so, then the problem may ultimately be the airport card itself. If you are experiencing the same problems when connected via cable, then the problem may be settings on the laptop.
4) Neighbor's network interference. Yes, a neighbor's wireless network can wreak havoc on your wireless network. A neighbor's wireless phone can even throw a wrench into nearby wireless network.

- - - MOVE THE SYSTEM - - -
Try first moving both the mac and the router to a few different locations around the home. This will help rule out interference from appliances, furniture, walls or neighboring wireless systems.

Before we go any further, I would suggest you use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner ( to create a restorable backup of your Hard Drive to an External Hard Drive. This free program will make a mirrored copy of your hard drive in it's current state that you can go back to if things go south after the following changes. I do this personally before I perform any kind of install, update or major change to my system. This is a suggestion only, not a requirement.

Next, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long email so I suggest printing it out for your reference.

Before you begin the following maintenance, unplug the power cord on both the modem and the router. Leave them unplugged during all of the following so that they may clear and reset.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Plug the router and modem's power cables back in and allow them to both boot to ready.
6) Restart the computer and test your connection.

If the connection is still slow, try the following tips one at a time, testing the connection after each.

- - - NEW USER ACCOUNT - - -
Create a temporary admin account to see if the issue is occuring system wide or is user specific This will help narrow down the troubleshooting.
1) Go to System Preferences / Accounts
2) Create this temporary account by clicking on the + button. Make sure you make it an admin account.
3) You may have to click the "lock" in the bottom left corner first though.
4) Once you have this new account created, log in to it and test your connection. If it is better here, STOP and let me know. Otherwise, on to the next step....

Run Software Update... from the apple menu on the finder. Run any System updates available for your Mac OS X. I definitely suggest making sure you ALWAYS have a backup before running any updates. This being no exception. After the updates are complete, restart. Test your connection, if it is still slow, continue to the next step...

Try turning off any wireless encryption methods in place. (WEP, WPA). This can be done by accessing the admin side on the router. You may have to refer to the instructions for your specific router. This can usually be accomplished by accessing the router's configuration page - open a browser and enter the address Test your connection, if it is still slow, continue to the next step...

Consult your third-party router's manual for information on switching channels. This can usually be accomplished by accessing the router's configuration page (the same as above). Test your connection, if it is still slow, continue to the next step...

Moving the folder "SystemConfiguration" located in /Library/Preferences, to the Desktop then restarting can resolve some connectivity issues. This workaround appears to be effective because of permissions problems that can affect the "SystemConfiguration" folder, and the therein contained "" file.
NOTE: that this workaround will require you to re-enter network configuration settings and may cause other lapses in functionality.
Test your connection, if it is still slow, continue to the next step...

Try turning on (or off) the Interference robustness option. This is accessible in the AirPort menubar item, or by selecting "AirPort" from the Network pane of System Preferences then clicking "Options..."

Try deleting the following files from the ~/Library/Preferences/ directory (this is the Library directory within your User folder):
In addition, delete any other files that have are named as such:[...]

This would be my next suggestion... locate (borrow or buy) another wireless router. Test it out for your machine. The wireless router may have problems communication with your mac. I've never seen a wireless router that had problems only connecting with 1 specific mac though, so if you have another machine on the same network without problems, it may be....

- - - AIRPORT CARD BAD - - -
The last thing I would suggest is replacing the Airport Card.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll be around to help.