loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

Hello, I have a 25 Hannspree (HF257) LCD monitor that is

Customer Question

I have a 25" Hannspree (HF257) LCD monitor that is having problems. The screen is blank, but the power light is on. If I power it off, then back on, it displays OK but goes blank again after a few seconds. It does this consistently. I am running OSX on a Mac Pro. I'm using a DVI > HDMI cable. This monitor has 2 HDMI ports, and it's doing the same thing on both ports.

Thanks!
Lyle
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Looking through Hannspree's manual for your particular model, I found that this monitor supports two video modes - VIDEO MODE or PC MODE. Excerpt from the manual:
"While using HDMI or HDMI to DVI ports for
video transmission, the video will appear cut off slightly around
the edge; choose?PC MODE?to view videos with complete
image. (VIDEO MODE only functions for inputs from HDMI or
DVI that supports HDCP video (YUV format)) "

I would first suggest you try "cycling" through the resolutions by pressing the Menu button + the Up Arrow button to achieve the optimal display quality.

If this doesn't do anything for you, I might suggest switching video modes. Apparently, this is an option within the menus on the monitor itself. Have you tried toggling between the two video modes to see whether the resolution presented by the monitor is being accepted by the Mac Pro? Also, Auto Adjust is only for VGA mode, just for your own information.

As an aside, one of the main reasons why monitors go dark (if the obvious has been alleviated) is that the supported resolution and/or refresh rate of the monitor is not within range of what the video card on your Mac Pro deems "tolerable". Typically, within System Preferences->Display, you can try changing your resolution until the monitor stays "up", so to speak. The manual states the following resolution/refresh combinations are supported:
640x400@70Hz ↔ 720x400@70Hz
640x480@60Hz ↔ 720x480@60Hz
1024x768@70Hz ↔ 1280x768@70Hz
1280x768@60Hz ↔1360x768@60Hz
1400x1050@60Hz ↔ 1680x1050@60Hz
1400x1050@RB 60Hz ↔ 1680x1050@RB 60Hz
1400x1050@75Hz ↔ 1680x1050@75Hz

If the above suggestions prove fruitless, I would try connecting a different monitor (one that worked before you plugged this one up) up to the Mac Pro temporarily, go into Display properties and adjust to one of the ones mentioned above, then reconnect your Hannspree monitor.

One other quick hint - press Menu on your Hannspree monitor + the Arrow Down button to change to FULL mode or FIT mode to further tweak your picture.

Please let me know whether this helped and whether I can be of further assistance.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I got the monitor working. It did not seem to be related to resolution, I played with that for a while with no results. BTW, it was also going blank when connected to a different (windows) machine. Also, the resolutions you listed are what was printed in the manual, but right under that list was the disclaimer:

** The screen resolutions available will depend on the purchased model.

So, those resolutions did not necessarily apply to this particular model, which is why I couldn't find those resolutions in the System Preferences resolution list. The native resolution for this monitor is 1920 x 1080 which is not even on that list.

Anyway, it started staying on after I went to the Screensaver section in System Preferences. The screensaver was set to never, which is where I wanted it. I did a test of the screensaver and since then it has been working. I really don't think that's related too much though, since I rebooted and also since it did the same thing on a windows machine. My feeling is that it's probably dying.

So with all the above said, and the fact that the resolution info you gave was incorrect, I don't feel that anything you did resolved the issue.

Please advise on how I can get my deposit returned.

Thanks for your time,
Lyle
Lyle,

I honestly don't know how you get your deposit returned. I would imagine you can contact the folks at JustAnswer and they can help you with that.