Jeff Micono
Jeff Micono, VMware Certified Professional
Experience:  20+ years with PCs, Macs, Linux
28398210

My daughter purchased a used MAC desktop from her work when

My daughter purchased a used MAC desktop from her work when they upgraded. We do not have the Admin password...(she cannot remember it). I need to download our printer etc. I have tried the various online recommendations to no avail. Was going to bring it in to the Apple store but thought if I could do it at home, it would save me time and $$.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jeff Micono replied 4 years ago.

If she has the installation disk, follow the procedure outlined here. If you do not have the install disk and can not obtain one, please post the version of MacOS that is running on the MAC desktop.

Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No installation disk. It is a MAC OS X Version 10.4

Since you are willing to modify the filesystem in single user mode, try this:

mount -uw /
ls /users
passwd (user's name)
(enter the password XXXXX be seen)
reboot

Note that this may negatively impact keychains. Based on my Unix experience, this procedure looks sound, but I have never tried it and I understand if you would prefer to not try this and have me opt out.

Jeff
Experience: 20+ years with PCs, Macs, Linux
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I should probably bring it into the Apple store. Not comfortable with possibley affecting negatively.

Thank you.
Understood.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trying.
You are welcome. Thanks for the opportunity.