MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I recently started having problems viewing youtube and other

Customer Question

I recently started having problems viewing youtube and other video clips...They are loading extremely slow and I can hear something "running" on my imac (a script or something?). I've run a diagnostic test but it says everything is fine but everything is definitely not fine. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 6 years ago.
font.f1 {font: 12.0px Helvetica} font.f2 {font: 14.0px Myriad Pro} Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Keeping the "About this Mac" window open, could you also provide me the model and processor speed of your Mac?

• What web browser are you using?
• Also, if I may ask, who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm using version 10.5.8
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm using an Apple Wireless/Cable modem. There were problems with the modem today also but that seems fine now.
Thanks much kevI64 for the update.

You have confirmed what I believe to be a possibility of what you are experiencing a lag with your youtube video and other video clips. Wireless signal is not as fast as the common hardwired ethernet connectivity. With that noted, the only way streaming video from sites like youtube and other streaming video sites, can become slow, choppy and at times freeze, can only be due to your current network speed.

To check your current unload and download speeds, you can check this site to get a speed check of your current network speeds. This is always a good way to isolate why the slow down for these video sites.

Here is the link: (Click and use the Tweak Test)

Another thing you can do, especially if you are using Safari or Firefox is to empty the cache of the respective browser and reset them.

Try the link for checking the speed of your current network connection. Depending on the speed of your connection, that will explain the issue with the slow down of the online videos you have been viewing.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I emptied the cache earlier and the speed test came up "looking good".
As I mentioned I can swear that I hear something a download is happening but i can't see what it is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Anything else you can think of?
Thanks for the updateCustomer

You just mentioned that your iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo has something running, like a download occurring but you cannot see it. Can you provide me more details about that? When do you experience hearing that sound and does it sound like it is coming from the hard drive or your iMac's speakers?

Let me know when you have a chance.