MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

How do I retrieve lost data on my MAC Book Pro I backed up

Customer Question

How do I retrieve lost data on my MAC Book Pro? I backed up my info the other day on an external hard drive and yhink I may have erased some stuff on my computer that I needed. My entourage rebooted itself and some Iphoto stuff is gone.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• Have you been using or have ever used Time Machine with your Macbook Pro and used that utility to back up data to your external hard drive?

• Or did you use another back up software to back up your information on the external hard drive?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using Mac Os x 10.5.8 and the info that I transferred onto my external hard drive was just directly put onto the hard drive after I plugged the source into the computer via usb port.
My entourage just today was behaving like a new account , welcoming me etc.My email address is no longer functioning. My I photo images are gone and my Mac address book.
Please help. Thanks
Thanks for your reply.

What may have happened is that when you transferred thoe files you have as a result, created a new location for the main files for each of these applications.

In order to resolve this issue, you have to "redirect" the applications to look for the main library of iPhoto, the mail folder of the Entourage application for example, on the external hard drive now.

Where these main files for these applications once were at home on your Mac's internal hard drive, they now have a new location. As a result each of these applications, iPhoto and Entourage, when opened now, cannot find those main files because they are on your external hard drive.

Its like, for better choice of words, having 1 home (iPhoto and Entourage) with two mailboxes (your Mac's internal hd and your new external hd).

If you move mail from the 1st mailbox to the second mailbox (the external hard drive), the first mailbox (your internal mailbox) will no longer receive mail (main files) because they have been re-routed to the second mailbox. Not the best analogy, but hopefully you get the point.

So here is what you do:

For iPhoto:
• Open iPhoto.
• Now open your external hard drive, locate your iPhoto folder.
• Once you locate it, open the folder and drag this file to the iPhoto library:
When you drag the iPhoto Library to your open iPhoto application, if you are doing it correctly, you will see a red circle with a "+" symbol appear indicating you will be able to drop the iPhoto Library file in the Photos library of the iPhoto appllication.

When you do this, you will then see the importing of your photos taking place.
This should also now link the external hard drive to iPhoto as the location for your
iPhoto library.

Try this and let me know if it helps. If it works then I will show you how to get Entourage back up and working again with your mail. Thanks!