iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

my mac wont boot when i start it up it goes to a gray screen

my mac wont boot when i start it up it goes to a gray screen or a blinking folder with a question mark i tried using reboot disk but it wont read them i tried getting a new hard drive the boot disk worked but i couldnt choose anywhere to install to
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist your with this .

Please can reply and provide me full details of the computer , OSX version , Mac model number , part number , age , any additional extras like memory that was installed and the screen size of the imac or laptop if possible.

I need to know exactly what Mac you are using , also are you under warranty?

-

It seems you haven't formatted your new HD drive ready for the install ?

If its an intel Mac please format using GUID tables and Mac OSX extended (journaled)

If its an older PPC Mac please use , Apple partition map and Mac OSX extended (journaled)

Please use Disk Utility to erase and format your New Mac HD disk .
Boot the OSX install DVD and choose Disk Utility from the Menu.

-

Once completed Install OSX to the new target volume Mac HD ,
again choose from the Menu to run the OSX installer.

Using the Mac OSX install disk , we can use the install option to install a new copy of the OSX OS to the Mac HD .

Procedure:

Please try to perform the install of OSX .

As follows :-

1 we need to boot from the DVD holding the C key on start up using a USB keyboard.

1 Boot up in to the OSX installer .

2 Before starting the installation, you may wish to use Disk Utility to verify and repair the volume, Select Disk Utilities from the Menu .
Choose to repair the Mac HD volume and then also repair disk permissions from within "Disk utilities" application and also erase and format your Mac HD disk if needed.

3 After using Disk Utilities , Choose Install Mac OSX or OSX Installer from the Menu.
to reopen the OSX 10.5 installer .

4 Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.

5 Click Continue.
The Important Information window appears.
After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
The Software License Agreement window appears.

6 After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement,
click Agree.

7 The Select a Destination window appears.
Click the HD volume that you wish to install to.
Choose your Mac HD boot volume .

8 Click Options.
The installation options sheet appears.

9 Select Install.

11 Click OK.

12 Click Continue to begin the installation.

Wait for the installation to complete and restart the computer .
Hopefully the installer will complete successfully.

Please let me know and if all is ok.

Update the system software using Software update , or preferably the OSX combo updater DMG downloaded from the Apple downloads section on apple.com .

Please let me know once you have performed the "install" to your new Mac HD .

I await your reply ,

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 2/1/2010 at 1:59 AM EST
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing