Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

somehow, the sound on my apple has been blocked. i hit the

somehow, the sound on my apple has been blocked. i hit the f 12 button and it shows bars, but there is a circle with a line through it below the bars. how do i get sound back? thankyou.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Can you fill in some details please?
What type of Mac is it? MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac?
What Mac OS X is on it?
If it is an iMac or Mini do you have a USB keyboard?
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is a regular macbook. it is probably three years old.
under the apple logo at the top left of the computer is a bar that says mac os x software. when i click on it , all this stuff comes up in the window. i am not very technical, sorry. one of my college roommates, a long time ago, is from buffalo. hope you can help me.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Must be the images did not go through.
So if you click on the Apple and then select 'About this Mac' then just under the Mac OS X will be the version of OS X, just under that is a button for Software update then Processor,
I need the version and Processor.
You have a MacBook so the keyboard is fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.5.8
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, now restart your Mac and before the chime press and hold the 'Option'. 'Command (Apple). 'R' and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go, it can be as long as 10 seconds between chimes so please wait for them.
After the 4th let go and let it start then see if the sound is now working.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope
still has circle with line through it undr volume bars
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that reset all the system busses so now lets see what the System Preferences tell us.
In the Apple menu select System Preferences then Sound, click on Output and see if it is set for internal speakers.
If it is then look into the headphone jack and see if there is a red light inside.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says digital out built inoutput

i do not see any red lights
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Take a headphone jack and plug it in out a few times, this works more often than not.
Also plug in the headphone if the above does nothing and see if you have sound over the headphones.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do not have headphones
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Earbuds?
Any 1/8" jack will do to plug it and out.
Failing that then do this.
The links will take you to instructions on how to remove the battery.

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
daniel, i have had a long weekend and am not going to try anything else tonight. i will try it tomorrow or the next day, and if that works i will hit the accept button. does that work for you?

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Works for me, just keep the email so you can reply easy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i found a good hockey game on t.v. so tried this suggestion. it did not work.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Then we are back to the headphone jack.
There is a small switch inside the headphone port that will sometimes reset with what we did.
This time no joy, you will need a headphone plug to plug in and out to flip this switch to the off position.
Any 1/8" headphone plug will work for this.
If you cannot do this then it will require a trip to an Apple store to have them do it.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i found one that worked ! many thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Welcome.