Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field
15852642

I have just installed a HP photosmart c309a series printer

I have just installed a HP photosmart c309a series printer with my iMac using Mac OS X 10.6.2.

I am able to print, the fax test have been successful. I can scan from the printer to the print tray. I can't seem to scan pictures and add them to the computer. I get unknown error.

I have uninstalled and re installed the program 4 times without solving this problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
What is the exact error message you are getting?
How are you scanning when this happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have also downloaded a print drive update from HP that showed up for software updates in Mac. An update that was to correct some scan issues. The error message says " sorry unknown error"

I have scanned two ways. One from the printer using the control panel on the face of it. This is how I was able to get it to scan from the glass to the print tray. When I scan from the printer to the computer it gives a message that it is scanning but the scanner never moves

The other way I scan is to control it from the computer after placing items to be scanned on the glass.

The HP manual says to uninstall the program when you get a message that says unknown error.

Thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Please try scanning it with these methods

Method One

1. Place something you want to scan into the scanner.
2. Press the scan button on the printer.
3. In Image Capture, select the area of the image you want to scan.
4. Adjust other settings if desired. The kinds of settings available will vary based on capabilities of the scanner; a sample scanner's settings are shown above.
5. Click Scan.
6. The scanned image is saved in your Pictures folder in your home directory (unless you changed the Scan To Folder setting), and opened in Preview.

Method Two

1. Make sure that the product is connected to the computer.
2. Turn the product on.
3. Load the picture or document:
* Scanner glass : Place the item with the print side down on the scanner glass, and then position it according to the engraved guides around the glass (usually on the right-front corner or the left-front corner). Close the scanner lid.
* ADF : Place the item into the document feeder tray. The printed side faces up and the top edge goes into the tray first. Adjust the width guides to fit the item.

CAUTION: Do not load photos in the ADF. Use the scanner glass instead to prevent damage to photos.

1. Open HP Scan.
2. Choose a Scan Profile from the Documents category or the Pictures category.
3. Make any desired changes to settings by clicking Profile Settings .
4. Click Scan .
5. Make any desired changes to the scan preview with the tools available in the Canvas toolbar and the Adjust window.

NOTE: You can use + and – buttons in the Bottom bar to add or delete pages in the OUTPUT list. You can reorder pages by dragging them to new positions in the Sidebar.

1. Select a destination from the Toolbar:
* If you opened HP Scan from other software, and want to send the scan to that software, click Return .

* If you are ready to save, print, or send the scan to a specific destination, click Save , Print , or Send .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated

Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience: Years of experience in the IT field
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This did not help. Apple has installed image capture on it's new computers to handle HP printers. using image capture I am now able to scan from the scanner to the computer when initiated at the the computer.
But thanks for your help