Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

when i took my computer to get fixed they put it under the

when i took my computer to get fixed they put it under the guys name who dropped it off for me and now i dont know how to make the "home" be my name and not his
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, my name is Brandon! Please click the "Accept" button only if you feel I should get paid for my answer(s). If you feel I have done a good job and wish to give me a Bonus, that is much appreciated! :)

Sounds like they just created a new user. Use the Apple menu and choose Log Out. If you see your user, click on it. If not, you can create a new user for yourself (the short name, the name of "home" cannot be changed).

Let me know what you would like to do.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so the home name can't be changed.... because that is what i was wanting to know how to change. Because, i did create me as a user but it still has the whole computer under his name... so all my documents automatically come with his name and not mine.... gets on my nerves
Correct, the home name cannot be changed but the name of the user can as well as the name of the computer. Lets see if you have a user.

• Use the Apple menu and choose System Preferences
  • Click Accounts

Do you see yourself listed on the left side?

Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
If you are listed, you can switch to your user and use that instead. It sounds like you may have it auto logging in as the current user. You can change this. In the window you are currently in, click Login Options at the bottom. The first option says "Automatic Login". Change it to your user. You may have to click the lock in the lower left first.

Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so there is absolutely no way to change the home name
No, there isn't. This is a limitation of UNIX (what Mac OS X is built on).
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm