John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I need to be able to put a number, say 5, in an Excel spreadsheet

Customer Question

I need to be able to put a number, say 5, in an Excel spreadsheet cell, say A1, and have that number be copied to D4. Now when I change A1's 5 to a 4, I need D$ to automatically change. I tried "=sum(A1)" but it won't automatically change once I have entered it the first time.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

If you just type the following formula in cell D4

=A1

cell D4 will always display the current value of A1

If it is not working as you expect it to please give me an example of what D1 is showing when you change the value of A1.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I type 5 in A1, then type "=A1" in D1, the 5 will show up in D1.
BUT
If I type over the 5 and make it a 4, D1 still shows 5. I need it to automatically change to 4.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I see what you mean. It sounds like your cell D4 has been formatted as text.

Here is what you need to do.

Select D4, then from the menu click Format > Cells, then click on the Number tab at the top. Then in the list on the left select 'General', then click OK.

Now re type this formula in D4

=A1

and press Enter.

Hope this does it. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With each cell formatted as General, and re typing =A1 into D4, D4 will only change to A1's contents once.
If I then change A1's contents to something else, D4 does not change.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

hmmm. Is it ok to send me the file so I can see what's going on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
/Volumes/DATA/publicinfo/WESLEY/PAY SCALE FIELD EMPLOYEES/Pay Scale Development.xls
If this doesn't open, email me an address to send it to you. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
I'll click on the "text me" deal so I will know to look.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

No, you will need to upload the file to a file sharing site then send me the download link that you will get.

Go to http://www.wikisend.com/ , click the Browse button then select your file, then click on 'Properties' and choose 1 Day in the LifeTime field, and then click Upload File, wait until you get the download link, copy that link and then come back to this question page and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/552982/Pay Scale Development.xls
Thats cool, didnt know it existed. This is a pay role sheet for employees to be evaluated and receive raises as they develop new skill.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

It is working just fine.

FILE

type 4 in A1 and tell me what you will get in D4

then type 9 in A1 and tell me what you get in D4

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I type 4 in A1 and get 4 in D4
I type 9 (replacing the 4) and D4 remains 4
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Are you sure you pressed the Enter key after typing 9.

So please type 9 in A1 and then press Enter.

Let me know.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok this is wierd but, I copied the same file I sent to you, onto this laptop. It is working on this computer, but not on any computer at the office. When I change the number in A! it changes in D4 automatically. but not while on the network computer.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Jimmy even on the network computer, unless the file is shared or locked you should be able to get the same result

Anyway, please feel free to contact me when you get back to the office if you need me to look further into this.

Thanks.