Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

The Console Icon is issuing a black warning box sign with yellow

Customer Question

The Console Icon is issuing a black warning box sign with yellow type. How do I eliminate the problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

What does it say in the Warning box? What version of OS X do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OS X 10.6.2 Tje warning box says WARNING
AY 7:36

When I open it I get multiple messages of attempts to debugger being called
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Are you in a browser right? On a web site?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am basically computer illiterate. I don't know if I am in a browser or a web site. It is just a message superimposed over the CONSOLE icon.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Where is this console icon? In the dock?

What is the second name in the menu bar at the top of your screen?

Apple menu, ???? menu, File, Edit.... What is the 2nd name there right now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CONSOLE is in the Dock. The second name is Edit
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What is the list of names up there?

The second name is XXXXX XXXXX not edit.

Start from the left and with the Apple, then what, then File, then Edit.... What is between File and Apple icon menu?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It sowsthe Apple icon, then Safari, Edit, View, History, etc.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Quit Safari.

Does the console warning go away?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I quit Safari and it did not go away
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Click on that icon. Does Console open and show you anything?

Do you have any other browsers like Firefox?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I click on Safari, Console does not open.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No,

When you see that console message, click on it. Does anything open?

Is all it says in that message is "WARNING AY 7:36"??
There is nothing else? No name or title in the window?

I don't know of any console messages that would come up so I would like as much info as possible about this error.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The warning message is superimposed over the Dock icon at the bottom of the screen. When I click on it Console Messages window pops up and gives constant messages with dates and times Primarily stating "UNCAUGHT EXCEPTIONS"
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK.

Click on the Console icon itself.

Look in the Console window. the messages should be right there in the front.

What are they? Look on the left side, in the sidebar listing and see what is highlighted there.

These may mean nothing at all to you, but let's see anyway.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Console window gives the date and time followed by ...empreferences[247]. Then System Preferences 9247,0X7fff70a06be0) malloc: reference count underflow for 0X2000dcde), break on auto_refcount_underflow_error to debug.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
That looks like System Preferences is having issues.

Do you have any extra preferences that you added in running in the bottom row in System Preferences? One of them may be incompatible and is crashing.

Quit System preferences.

Restart the Mac.

Open System Preferences again. Look at the bottom row.

What is listed there? It should be titled Other.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The bottom row is labeled System and it does not show Other. It shows Accounts Date and Time Parental Controls Software Update Speech Startup Disk Time Machine Universal Access but not Other
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

That's good. No Others means nothing you installed.

Well, I am out of ideas. I do not know why Console is telling you this. It should just log them and be done with it.

Are you noticing anything else going on wit the Mac?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, Everything else works great. I think I will need to get some help locally. Thanks for your time and help andI will get some Mac training
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Great. I think it will help a lot and having someone see these errors is much better than trying to describe them.