Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

my iphone 3Gs isnt being recognized by iTunes and the phone

my iphone 3Gs isn't being recognized by iTunes and the phone itself isn't booting up. The initial apple logo shows up but in approx 10 seconds, it just shuts down again.
We can try performing a force restore on the phone. This should fix the problem, but you may lose any contact data that is stored on the phone and hasn't been sync'd to the computer. If you have MobileMe and it is configured on your phone then you have nothing to worry about. Here is how you do it.

1. Connect your iPhone USB cable to your computer, but don't connect it to your phone yet.
2. Power the phone down completely
3. While holding the "home" button, connect your iPhone to the USB cable. Continue holding the home button until you see this:

iTunes will now perform a factory reset on the phone and you'll be back in business.