Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

i have had my network up and running without a glitch for 8

Customer Question

i have had my network up and running without a glitch for 8 years. I can see my airport extreme and both my airport express units(2) on my airport utilities screen and was told to upgrade the extreme's firmware so, I changed them all to original settings then upgraded the firmware to the latest versions. Created a network with the Extreme and joined the 2 express units so in my media room I only see one network to select on my g4. When i go downstairs to my living room where i have the first express installed, i lose the network entirely. this happens on my g4, my wife's dell and my other white mac so it is not a computer centric failure. What gives?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Try using the airport utility to set up the downstairs Airport Express again. Is this airport express 8 years old? I've never seen one last that long.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have reset all of the devices to original settings, upgraded the firmware on all, then connected them directly to my digital modem and each of them operated correctly as a base. everything is about 6-7 yrs old. I dont understand why they are not talking to each other yet i see them all as one network in the utility.

Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
It could be a problem with the actual unit. I've seen a number of airport expresses go dead over the years, and its possible that the firmware upgrade either didn't apply correctly or the hardware failed during the process. If this were my network, I'd try replacing the downstairs airport express with a new one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if thats the case, then I should be able to use the extreme in the media room and the bedroom express in the living room. If the second (BR) express fails (its newer) maybe I'll just junk it and upgrade.