Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Hello, My ibook g4 wont start up I turned it on and the

My ibook g4 won't start up I turned it on and the chime goes as normal but the screen appears with the apple logoas normal and the swirly loading sign but stays like that for hours and doesn't go to the log in page I'm new to this lap top and I have no experience like this before please help me!!
If you know how to fix thIs problem kindly reply
wating for your replies. Thank you :(
Do you have an OS X installation disk handy? Your computer should have come with some or if you have bought any OS X upgrades we are going to need one of those disks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no I do not have any disks for my laptop
Is this iBook the only Mac you own?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, try turning it on and holding Shift Key while it boots. This will attempt to boot your Mac in "Safe Mode". If it boots up successfully, go ahead and restart it and see if it will boot normally.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing still timing with apple logo and gray screen
Ok, let's try single-user mode. Shut down the computer and boot it up while holding command-s (command is the key with an apple on it). You can release command-s as soon as you see some text scrolling by on the screen. When you reach the command prompt, type the following command:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press enter. It will run a utility that will attempt to repair your OS X volume. When this is complete type:

and press enter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

error no such file or directory

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i tried it again & now have a back screen the volume macintosh hd was repaired successfully now do I shut down the computer?

Type "reboot" without the quotes and press enter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you it works now you are a saver!