Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

My daughter has a Mac Pro Laptop that will be 2 yrs. old in

My daughter has a Mac Pro Laptop that will be 2 yrs. old in March and it needs a new battery and the screen is damaged. Should we get a new screen and battery or should we buy her a new Mac Pro for $900.00. She is a college student. Thank you! Cluless Mom
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
That screen repair is an expensive one. You have to take the entire Macbook apart to replace the screen, and as such, the cost of doing it is normally close to $600. With the battery on top of that you are looking at $700 to get the machine up and running. I'd probably go ahead and purchase a new Macbook, or get a used one on ebay. You can sell the damaged computer on ebay and probably collect a couple hundred dollars for it as people like myself can repair that computer for the cost of the parts and turn around and sell it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
our Apple stor told my daughter today that it would cost about $500.00 total to do both the battery and the screen.....does that sound right or too low? Would you be interested in purchasing our computer???
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
$500 sounds pretty reasonable to get the repair done. Is this a Macbook Pro or a Macbook? My initial recomendation is based on thinking that this was a Macbook. The pros are more expensive systems and therefore are worth putting more money in to repair. Do you know the processor speed and how much memory the system has? Unfortuneately I cannot buy the system from you as I cannot disclose personal information to customers. If you give me the system specs I can look on ebay and give you a ballpark on what I think the system will sell for.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just got off the phone with the Apple store to verify the quote because I thought it might be too low and it was - you were right on the money. I think we will go ahead and purchase a new one and try to sell our old one on ebay. Thanks for your advice!