Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

Can having a lot of itunes files make my iMac internet slo

Customer Question

Can having a lot of itunes files make my iMac internet slow?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
The simple answer is that it shouldn't make it slower. The easiest way to test would be to quit iTunes and see if the problem goes away. If your internet works fine with iTunes closed, then iTunes is doing something to slow down your computer. What kind of iMac is this? How long have you had it? How much memory (RAM) does it have? What version of Mac OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
iTunes is typically closed, I have an iMac I purchased in 2007.

Mac OS X 10.5.8
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I kinda just wondered if having a lot of photos and songs on the computer slows down internet speed.
Thank you Pat

Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
No it shouldn't. 1 GB of RAM is fairly low for today's computing needs. Your system will be snappier if you upgrade that to at least 2 GB. Can you check how much free hard drive space you have and tell me? You can do that by opening a finder window, clicking on your hard drive and choosing "Get Info" from the file menu.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you Pat:

Capacity: 297.77 GB
Available: 197.77 GB
Used: 100.26 GB
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you Pat:

Capacity: 297.77 GB
Available: 197.51 GB
Used: 100.26 GB
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
You've got plenty of hard drive space. By windows opening slowly do you mean you click new window and it takes a second or two to see one or you type in a web address and hit enter and it takes a second or two to start opening the page?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Pat, I mean the internet is slow. For example, it took several minutes from the time I typed my initial question to y'all, to finishing the paypal transaction. The little measure dial in safari just spins and spins, waiting for sites or links to open.

it takes many many many seconds to open the new york times or espn or blogs i read or barnes and noble.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi. I didn't think we'd finished. i think I answered your question above, then I accepted, but I also hoped that you would answer my question.

You seem to be saying that itunes cannot make my computer slow, but then you asked for the above information.

Please provide more info. I know I paid, but, would you help me understand where I should be looking for a solution to this slowness?

thank you
Katherine
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Your internet connection could just be slow, are there other computers in the house? Is this compute connected via wireless to the internet or directly via a cable? You can try changing the DNS settings to the google DNS servers which might be better than what you're using. Here's how to do it:

Open System Preferences
Click Network
Click "Ethernet" or "Airport" (whichever one you use to connect)
Click "Advanced"
Click the "DNS" Tab
Use the + to add the following 2 addresses:
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
Hit "OK" then "Apply" and close system preferences