Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I have a secured wireless network at home. My son is home

Customer Question

I have a secured wireless network at home. My son is home from school and can't get his mac to connect to it. When he tries to put in the password, it says there was an error.
Category: Mac
Expert:  barunrath replied 4 years ago.

I assume you need to retrieve the network key for your router? What's the make and model of the same?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
linksys router, model: BEFW11S4
Expert:  barunrath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ...in order to find the network key for your router, please carry out the following steps:

1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Type in 192.168.1.1 in the website address field, and press ENTER.
3) Your router's link should open up.
4) Click on the 'Wireless' tab.
5.) Next, click on 'Wireless Security'.
6.) You should get a page with a few keys listed; use the first WEP key listed, and you are all set.

PS - If the link prompts you for a username and password, leave the username field empty and type in admin in the password XXXXX or admin in the username field and password XXXXX or type in admin in both of the fields if it doesnt work.

Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Once I find the network key, what do I do with it. On my son's laptop I went in the "airport", selected our network and put in the password. It just says there was an error. Will the network key help with this?
Expert:  barunrath replied 4 years ago.
Yes, in the password XXXXX type in the network key you retrieved in your router's webpage, in order to connect to the same.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already have the web key. That's what I meant when I said I put the password XXXXX When I do this on the "airport" an error message comes up.
Expert:  barunrath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ..could you specify the exact error message you get?

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says:

"There was an error joining the AirPort network "guthnet".

Expert:  barunrath replied 4 years ago.
Okay ...now, I'll be transferring this question to the Mac experts accordingly.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I received an email that said I received 2 answers to my question and haven't accepted. I didn't receive any appropriate answers. The last response I got said I was being referred to the Mac experts. I have not received an answer from them that I know of. Am I missing something here? I really would like some help with my question. Thank you!
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
Let's try deleting his network preferences file and see if that fixes it. Have him go to /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Delete the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.network.identification.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist files. Reboot the computer and try to connect again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I do this, will this effect anything on his computer or how he connects when he goes back to school?
Expert:  Pat replied 4 years ago.
He will likely have to re-enter some network passwords. His computer will "forget" about any network it has connected to.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments