Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I recently installed Parallels for the purpose of playing games

I recently installed Parallels for the purpose of playing games that are only available for Windows. I have been unable to find out how to archive them in a separate LaCie HD that is permanently connected to my MacBook. I'm concerned about using too much space in my MacBook HD.
Hi there,

If I understand you correctly, you wish to use your external LaCie drive to hold your virtual machine(s') files (such as the hard drive images, etc). Is that correct?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Exactly. In other words I'll like to use the external LaCie drive instead of my computer internal HD to hold ALL the virtual machine's files and programs.
Thanks for getting back to me.

There is no way to change the default location of future virtual machines that are created but you can certainly put them where ever you wish. Use the Go menu and choose Home. Open the Documents folder. In here, you should see a Parallels folder. This folder contains your Virtual Machine(s). Drag this folder to your LaCie drive. When its finished copying, you can delete the one in your Documents folder (or rename it if you don't feel comfortable yet). Open Parallels and use the File menu and choose Open... Select your virtual machine on your external drive. It will add it to your list of Virtual Machines.

When creating a new virtual machine, it will ask you where you wish to save the files. By default, it is going to want to put them in the Parallels folder in your Documents folder. You can change this to your external.

Hope this helps!