Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I have an older PowerBook G4 Mac with OS X.3.9 and would like

I have an older PowerBook G4 Mac with OS X.3.9 and would like to upgrade so I can use a MagicJack. I believe I need to upgrade to at least an OS X.4.10 to operate the MagicJack. Would that be worthwhile or money smart to upgrade. How far can I upgrade this system re:the Operating System, other words what's it's limitations. Please advise.Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello Bobbie D,

To figure out the highest Mac OS version you can upgrade to, you'll need to know your processor speed and Memory(RAM). The easiest way to get these numbers, is by going to the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner of your screen, and selecting the first option "About This Mac". This window will tell you the Processor and Memory, among other things.

To run OS 10.4, you'll need at least a 333Mhz Processor, and 256MB of Memory. It's very likely you have this if it the computer is a G4. In fact, if you have at least an 866Mhz Processor and 512MB of Memory, you could even install OS 10.5. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My G4 PowerBook is a 667MHZ PowerPC processor with 512 MB SDRAM. Therefor it looks like I can upgrade to OS 10.4 only, but not to OSX.5. Would you know about how much it would cost($) to get it upgraded or where I can get it upgraded? Thanks
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
You can get a copy on Amazon or Ebay, or an official copy from Apple for $129 by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE, and requesting it. Also, if you know someone who has a copy, you can use their disk. They can be used on more than one computer. Good luck!