MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

My ibook G4 fell off a couch onto carpeted floor, it was closed

My ibook G4 fell off a couch onto carpeted floor, it was closed at the time. It worked right away after, I was in hotel room using free wi-fi. Tried to use it 7 hrs later, all the screen would do is show the initial lite blue/gray screen with apple in middle starting up and made the starting up chime, but the after about a 2 minutes of working it would just go dark and not sound like it is running. Nothing is damaged on the outside. Is there anything I can do? It does make the normal sound when pushing the on button. Thx for your help!
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

• Such issues like this are not an easy one to diagnose and fix, especially considering there has been some physical shock to your iBook. However, I will do what I can to see if I can assist you in restoring your iBook to its normal functionality.

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode per this procedure below.

Try these steps:

• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop environment - the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It didn't work, tried 3 times. The start up sound comes on and it seems to go dead after the spinning gear goes for about 1-2 minutes. It completely goes black (shuts down, no sound or light on it anywhere.) It hasn't been a good week for me the past TWO weeks, car, refrigerator, cell phone, and now my apple. Do you have any other suggestions as to what may be wrong, since I will have to take it in? So that way I am not taken, since I not that tech savy. Thx much!
Thanks for your reply.

Actually considering the fact that your iBook powers up but you get no backlight, to see your video, it can be either the iBook's main logic board or the LCD Inverter, which is the component that provides the backlight for your iBook portable.

I have worked on these particular models before and from the symptoms you are explaining, this is definitely hardware.

My recommendation is that you consider taking your iBook into a local Apple Retail store Genius bar or local Apple authorized service center, at least for a diagnostics.

Just for your reference, I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

Apple Retail Store (Genius bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

Please feel free to ask as many questions on this subject as you need. I am here to assist as much as I can.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What I'm wondering is, will it be reasonable to fix, just basing it on your thoughts? I appreciate your help?

If you can provide me the processor speed of your iBook docshd206, that will allow me to look up your specific iBook's specifications and I can give you a rough estimate of the cost of those 2 specific parts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I only know the model # XXXXX from the bottom of it, I don't have a manual. Thx!
Thanks for that attempt.

In order to help you:
simply remove the battery from the battery bay and within the bay, you should see a label which will show you the model of your iBook, the processor speed and some additional specifications. That is what I need.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi! There is no label in the bay, probably due to me being the 2nd owner. On the battery is Model a1061 10.8v 12in ibook. I wish I could give you more info. Thx for all of your help so far!
Thanks for your efforts in getting as much information as you could.

For the iBook 12" I tried to get as much information as I could, in order to provide you at least a rough estimate for 3 parts which could be impacting the performance of your iBook:

LCD Inverter board (Provides the backlight for your screen)
--Estimated Cost: $15 - 30 USD

Main Logic Board (Prime component for any computer or laptop- it houses the processor, RAM, graphics card, USB/FIrewire Connectors, Ethernet, WiFi cards and much more- **Be Advised** this is also usually the most expensive part of a portable to replace)
--Estimated Cost: $500 USD +

Power Supply -possibly the DC In connector: (The Power Supply itself, is responsible for providing the electricity from an external electrical power source, such as an electrical wall socket or surge protector, to the the main logic board- The DC-In is the small connector that allows you to plug in the adaptor in order toprovide power from an external source to the power supply to the logic board and removable battery .)
--Estimated Cost: $10-15 USD

As I have stated already, these are just rough estimates and these estimates do not include the labor you will have to pay depending on the Apple reseller you go through. So again, Shop around!

I hope this has helped.

Thanks so much for your patience!

Warmest Regards,