Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I ran Data Rescue II and it retrieved my data. I repaired the

Customer Question

I ran Data Rescue II and it retrieved my data. I repaired the retrieved disk. How do I access the information? For now my files are titled 0, 1, 100, 101, ect. Are they still encrypted? I can call Apple but I would rather send my money to you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Data Rescue and other recovery apps do not know specifically what some files are. They just see a good beginning, a complete file and then a good end and they grab that file and then move to the next one. The files are then named like you see 001, 002, etc…

If the recovery program is using a Directory search and then recover, it will most likely be able to name the files properly that way.

But if it gave you just serialized names, then it was a deep or long search and it grabbed anything that looked viable and named it as you see.

Not much you can do but go through them and name them after identifying them.

Sorry about that. Glad to hear at least you got the data. Not so many are even that lucky.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't read the file contents.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Not every file will be a good file.These apps are not flawless. They try very hard to get you as much as possible.

Sometimes a file that cannot be read by its native app can be read by a text only app like TextEdit. Then you recover your text and start a new document.

Files that can be recognized typically will have the icons associated with it. This will be an exercise for you. You'll have to have some faith and look at every one, maybe in TextEdit, to find out what they are and whether they are worth keeping.

Not all files recovered are good. That is your job to determine.