Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I bought a movie on iTunes a few days ago and synced it to

Customer Question

I bought a movie on iTunes a few days ago and synced it to my ipod classic (80 GB). When I watched it that day, in the middle of the movie the apple logo appeared in a grey background, then after a few seconds the movie started again. When I plugged my ipod into my macbook the movie deleted from my ipod by accident, and when my computer tried to sync it back onto my ipod, it took hours and hours, and once it got halfway done syncing, it stopped, and I couldn't get it to sync at all. In the last few days, I've tried to get it to work, but it hasn't. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok, Is the iPod now not working? Or just that movie having issues? It is not clear from the question where you are at this point.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The iPod still works by itself, its just when I plug it into my mac that it won't sync. Also, when the iPod is plugged in my iTunes my computer becomes unresponsive.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Any chance you have another sync cable to test with?

Also, try looking in the dock connector itself and make sure there is no debris or dust in there that may be interfering with the connection with the cable.

One other thing. iPod classics have hard drives that were prone to failure. When you have it on, does the iPod make any unusual sounds? Like a ticking noise or speed up/slow down kind of noise?

Try to reset the iPod as well. You don't say if you did that yet. Follow these instructions for your model:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried with two sync cables with the same results. Also, there isn't any debris or dust. And yes, I've tried to reset and restore it, and it makes a speeding up kind of sound, but neither have worked. When I tried, the apple logo appeared with a grey background, and it was there for a few seconds, and then disappeared and went right back to showing the main menu of my ipod and nothing was changed.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Are you using a built-in USB port or a USB Hub?

How old is the iPod?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm using a USB Hub. The iPod's about two and a half years old.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Try connecting directly to the computer's built-in USB port. See if it makes a difference.
I have seen some USB hubs go bad and not allow higher speed devices work, but slower speeds do.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried connecting directly and using different USB hubs, and neither worked.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Then I am afraid it is the iPod that is having issues.

If it was reset successfully and still does not show on the Mac, then it is failing and will need to be evaluated by a Genius to see if they concur.