MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I experienced an electric power surge in my home and now my

Customer Question

I experienced an electric power surge in my home and now my Mac screen has a very thin line running down the side from top to bottom. What is happening to my screen? Can this be fixed?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What model of Mac do you have and if you can, provide the processor speed of your Mac?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

I have a iMac OSX (4 years old)
10.4.11
2HH2 Intel Core 2 Duo
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have yet to receive an anwser from the tech....what else do you need to know from me?
Thanks for the update.

When it comes to lines across your screen, there are only a few procedures we can try to see if the video resolution anomaly can be fixed.

So for starters try this simple procedure first.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown, if you have not already turned your Mac off.

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

• Please update me to let me know if this works.

I will be watching for your update and with more procedures as needed.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So,
I tried this and my computer quickly turns on regardless of holding down the keys.
The gray screen comes up immediately while holding htese keys down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So,

Thanks for the update to this process thus far.

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if can't correct that grey screen issue as well.

Try these steps:

-SAFE BOOT MODE-

• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop environment - the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

Thanks for your patience, I will be looking forward to the update on the process.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for showing how to get my computer to Safe Mode. I was able to accomplish that. I also tried to do the PRAM reset and that works now as well. But that darn line is still on my computer screen.
Glad to assist and thank you for Accepting my answer.

Considering you have tried the key procedures to help with such an issue, I now can let you know that the line on you screen is a video issue and could be the result of the video graphics card in your Mac.

What I would recommend you do, is take your Mac in to your local Apple retail store Genius Bar or local Apple authorized service center in your area, and have a least a diagnostics performed on it by a certified Apple technician.

Just for your reference, I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

Apple Retail Store
(Genius bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

If you have any further questions regarding the information I have provided or regarding this issue in general, please do not hesitate to reply back to this post. I am still always ready to assist as much as I can.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you thus far!

Warmest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Terry. However now my printer doesn't work or can't be found. Is this a result of
of performing the following? Once I did this my printer didn't work, no device was found...etc.
Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems

So I reinstalled my printer and now my computer doesn't recognize the USB device so I can't get past the set-up assistant.....
Thanks for your reply Kay.

The StartupItems files are will not affect the performance of your printer because these files only work with the actual startup process of your Mac, not your printer.

This would be an issue as the result of your grey screen issue. A grey screen can be the result of a hardware or firmware (software made for the logic board and processor and additional hardware components) issue with your Mac.

The fact that your USB ports are not responding is a sign not that your printer has failed but that as I had suggested earlier, you need to take your Mac in to a local Apple Retail store Genius bar or Apple-authorized service center, because this grey screen issue as well as the line going through your screen points to a hardware issue for sure.

If you want to reply back to this post and update what you find out IF you decide (per your discretion of course) to take your Mac in for a diagnostics of this issue, please feel free to do so, I am still here and glad to help. But I must recommend you get this Mac in for a service diagnostics for sure.

Thanks so much again for your patience once again!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much and you have great patience!
Your service was excellent.....