Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I connected my Apple Macbook Pro to the HDMI 4 socket on my

I connected my Apple Macbook Pro to the HDMI 4 socket on my Sony Bravia KDL-40Z5800 LCD TV and an audio link to the adjacent red and white phono sockets, using the cables supplied by Apple. The Video from my storred movies comes through great but no Audio. I've tried every audio option I can find on the Sony but no luck. How do I get the Audio to work?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Most TVS using HDMI assume the audio is coming through that port and ignore any other audio inputs.

You will need to go through the TV settings to see if the Audio can be routed around the the HDMI usage, but most likely you will need to choose another port like DVI or even Component video (also HD but does NOT carry Audio signals) to get the video in and then the audio will work on that same port.

See, Apple does not support the HDMI standard for audio. Shame too, I have the same issue with my Vizio and ended up putting a set of computer speakers at the tv and connecting them to the MacBook.

Sorry, but that's how it is right now. If your TV supports Digital/Optical in, it may use that instead of looking for the audio on the HDMI. You'll need the optical audio out cable for the Mac though. It is not a standard optical connector.

Silly Apple.

Hope the helps,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for this suggestion but I don't have an optical audio out port on the Macbook pro. I am using the extension speaker/headphone socket for the audio which is analogue. Can I get digital audio out of the Mac, if so where/how?

Regards, Peter

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Yes you do. They all do. That is why I said you need their special cable to get it to work.

It is the same port as the analog output, but uses a different cable to activate it.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting