Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

cant boot up mac laptop -- Ive booted with disk and Im in

Customer Question

can't boot up mac laptop -- Ive booted with disk and I'm in Disk Utility. I try verification but its denied. why would that be and what can I do to fix my mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Possible Solution #1: Safe Mode

Please restart the computer on Safe Mode:
1- Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see the Safe Mode screen.
2- Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded.
3- Restart the computer in normal mode.
Is it working now?

Possible Solution #2: Reset the PRAM and NVRAM
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Possible Solution #3: Reinstall Mac OS X
1. Turn on the computer
2. Insert the Mac OS X cd on your Mac
3. Press and Hold the Option (or Alt) key until you see the boot window
4. Click on Mac OS X cd
5. Follow the prompts to reinstall Mac OS X
6. Let me know if worked

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

All of these solutions -- I discovered from reading mac forums. Solutions 1 and 2 didn't work.

I'm hoping there's a way not to have to reinstall the OS -- I have lots of files that I don't want to loose.

Without the boot disk, I get a folder with a question mark icon. So, I believe the next step is to put in the boot disk.

I did that and launched Disk Utility.

I wanted to try "repair disk". I clicked on "verify disk" and this failed. So, I haven't been able to run a disk repair.

This takes me to one of my original questions: why can't I repair my disk? What does this verification failure mean?
What exact error message do you get while trying to repair de disk?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It asks me to "verify permissions" for Mac OSX Install Disc 1. (All other buttons are greyed out -- including one for Verify Disk and Repair Disk).

The error message says: No valid packages.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

It's been about an hour -- I"m not getting any response from you. Just wondering if you're still working on the issue or if the site timed out?

In the mean time, I've done some research.

First of all, I realize now that my HD is not showing up under utilities.

This is not good. Plus, HD failure is not uncommon on MacBooks. Some of the Seagate HD were faulty.

Secondly, there is software out there more powerful than Disk Utility to diagnose issues.

I'm going to try to recover my data using firewire and another Mac, then try a reinstall.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
6 Mac specialists -- for a simple question (which I found my own answer for in the end) that I got the answer for - why hasn't anyone gotten back to me in the past 4 hours or so? Even if it's to say -- I'm working on it?

The "please wait" icon has been looping continuously the whole time... The service sucks and I've asked for a refund.

Very disgruntled -- like the idea of the service but disappointed with lack of responsiveness.
I am sorry about that.

You are free to request a refund here:
www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx

I wish you a Wonderful Year 2010!

Thank you