Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

My itunes does not recognize my i-pod when I plug it in and

Customer Question

My itunes does not recognize my i-pod when I plug it in and I cannot add new songs to my ipod. Any way to fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Jhon Cappuccio, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

If you open iTunes manually and then connect the iPod, do you see it under the "Devices" section on the left?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,
It does not populate under the devices section. the only place it shows up is on my desktop. My itunes never finds it when I plug it it. I have tried both usb ports as well.
OK, please follow the steps below:

0. Unplug your iPod from your Mac
1. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
2. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash
3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
4. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
5. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
7. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
8. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the admin password.
9. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
10. Download and install the current version of iTunes: ?www.apple.com/itunes/
11. Restart your Mac and let me know if it is working now.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,
Im at the point where you want me to empty the trash and restart?
This wont get rid of my uploaded songs will it?
No, the songs are not inside iTunes application. You are not going to lose your songs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Downloading the new itunes now.
Ok, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Itunes is back, but it is still not finding my ipod. When I go to file (for itunes) I cant hit the sync ipod option because itunes doesnt pick it up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,
Any other suggestions?
Please let me know what model do you have.

Check here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,
It is a 30GB that was purchased in 2006.
Please restart the ipod following the steps below:

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Also check your iPod in another computer. Does it work?
Check another iPod in your computer. Does it work?

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I restarted my ipod and tried again. No luck.
Tried a different Ipod and it found it just fine on my itunes. I have not been able to try mine on another computer yet, but it looks like it must be an issue w/ my ipod....
Yes, please try to plug your ipod in another computer and let me know. So we will isolate the problem.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi JOhn,
I have not been able to check my ipod on another computer yet, but I dont think it will work as my itunes immediately recognized another ipod and then would not recognize mine.

Any other suggestions?
HelloCustomer I am sorry for the delay

Please restart the computer on Safe Mode:

Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see the Safe Mode screen.

Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded.

Restart the computer in normal mode.

Is it working now?

Remember: If this answer does not solve the problem, please let me know so we can try with another solution

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio