Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I get this error message when I try to update my software on

Customer Question

I get this error message when I try to update my software on my IMac through my automatic updater:
None of the checked updates could be installed. The installer could not install some files in "/". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Pleas help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Need some info to move on here.

What OS X version do you have on this Mac?

Are you referring to Apple Software Update? Or another software updater?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have 10.5.8. Yes the apple software update that automatically wants to update on my mac. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Ok, Sounds like Permissions ma be messed up.

Go to the Go menu in the Menu bar from the Finder.
In here choose Utilities.

In here, open Disk Utility. Click on First Aid tab and then on Repair Permissions.

This will take a while, so be patient with it, it will finish. Don't stop or interrupt it.

When done, there may be some errors that it says will not be repaired. That's normal.

Try to install Updates again.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I followed your instructions, but when I clicked on repair disk permissions, the task failed. Inside the 'First Aid' window it said that if the repair fails, back up and erase the disk. Does that mean I have to back up my entire hard drive and erase it?!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Hmmmm. That's pretty bad. Yes, i am afraid we will. If even Permissions cannot run, we will need to start clean on that drive.

It is essential you back up fully before going any further. Do you have a backup drive? Firewire or USB?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I will take the proper steps from here. Have a great day!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Good luck and come back if you need anything.