Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have just loaded several *.wmv files onto my Mac..... they

I have just loaded several *.wmv files onto my Mac..... they are court video transcript file.... when I click on the file to "play it", my system is reading it as a text file.... how do I "play" these files

PS.... thanks for being there... Happy New Year !!

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

You cannot play these files on your Mac without an additional plugin, Flip4Mac. So, download and install Flip4Mac from here. Install it and restart yoour Mac and try to play the video files on Quicktime Player.

You can also play those videos on an additional Player called VLC Player for Mac. VLC Supports all types of video files. Just download and install VLC Player for Mac from here. After installing it, open VLC Player and open the video files in it.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We choose the second option... the VLC option. We're in the Michigan north woods, way back in the woods, and all we have is a dial up connection.... so it took forever (well almost) for the download.... over 2 hours.... it wasn't fun. When the download finally completed, and we tried to open the VLC plugin file, Safari "said" .. can not access, files have been moved.... and, now we can't find the files. When we click on the ".download" files, the Mac reinitiates the download process... and more pain for us.

Should we ?
- start over, selecting your suggest first choice ?
- or, since Safari reported that the download was completed, and the files "are here" somewhere, can you counsel us through opening up the plugin so we can try to see our .WNV files ?

net net... we're still lost.... what's the easiest home

..... please, select the easiest for us option.

PS..... did I wish you a Happy New Year
Thanks for the help

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I'm very sorry for the delay in reponse. If you downloaded the VLC, it should be saved on the Downloads folder. Open Macintosh HD > Users > [yourname] > Downloads folder and you can see the VLC Player in there. Just install it.

If you can't see the VLC Player, download it again from this link

Also, try Flip4Mac. Flip4Mac allows you to play those WMV files on your inbuilt Quicktime Player

Happy New Year to you,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ashik Sorry I took so long to answer. My husband was waiting for an important call so I couldn't use the computer. (dial-up). Thanks for your help. Joanne