Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have mac os 10.6 and mail 4.2 In windows, they have a

Customer Question

I have mac os 10.6 and mail 4.2

In windows, they have a 'preview pane' -- i have similar set up on my mail. above section contains list of emails, and clicking on an item in the list will have the email contents displayed in the section below.

I wish to have the font in this 'preview pane' and in emails I double click to be bigger. I do not seem to be able to change this font using Mail/Preferences and font 'tab'

(sorry for the windows references!)

Can you maybe help me?

Thank you,
Ly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

I just did this on my Mac with Mail 4.2 and all I did was go into Mail menu and choose Preferences. Click on Fonts & Colors and click on the Message Font "Select... " button.

Change the font/size and it will reflect it as you change it. Choose a size/font that works for you and then close the fonts pallette and then the Prefs window.

That should be it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi there.

I did try this (I put this in the 'already tried' section)

this increases the font in the list and in the message. i don't need the list size increased, just the message font.

thanks,
Ly
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

It works just fine. What you may be seeing is the email is in a format (like Plain Text) that cannot have its size changed in Message Font.

I tried this and it does increase the text size of HTML only emails. Emails that are Text are defined by the Fixed-Width setting and some define their own and some emails are just graphics and cannot be changed at all.

But I just did it again, all the text increased to 24 points. I think you are seeing the emails that cannot have their size changed or you are not changing the Fixed-Width setting. Mine does it, so should yours.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it did not occur to me that some messages have text that cannot be resized. I am able to resize message text on some emails.

thank you,
Ly
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok,

Then that is normal behavior.

Thanks for the Accept! Appreciate that very much.