Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

On start up the screen says panic (cpu 0 caller 0x001A8C8A)

On start up the screen says:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x001A8C8A): Kernal trp at 0x00000000, type 14=page fault, regsitesr:

CR0: 0x8001003b etc etc etc

Also:

Error code: 0x00000010

Debugger called:
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

This is a Kernel Panic and is related to the OS X version installed going bad.

You will need your install disk for this Mac to be able to fix this.

Do you have that disk? Or a retail install disk for the OS version installed there now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, Mike. Yes,I have both install disks. I have been able to load disk 1. However, on completion of the first install, the Mac tries to restart but just returns to the original "kernal panic" message and I cannot insert disk 2. I have reloaded disk 1 several times but only get as far as completing disk 1.

I have also been through the utilities routine to repair the hard drive and it says there is nothing wrong with it.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

What option are you using when you do the install?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried both the instal disk option and the hard drive version. Both end in the same result: returning me to the original "kernal panic" message.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried both the install disk option and the hard drive version. Both end up with the same result: returning me to the original "kernal panic" message.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

I wasn't clear. When you start the Installation process, and you get to the Drive selection screen, what Option do you choose in the Options window to get the Installer to work on the Drive?

Clean Install? Archive & Install?

Let me know, because if you tried those and still get this error, it is going to be hardware, possibly a failed memory chip, but could be a failed CPU (it does fail at CPU0).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I've just tried again and the sequence of screens is:

1 Mac OS X: use English for main language -> OK

2 Welcom Mac OS X Leopard Installer -> Continue

3 Licence -> Agree

4 Slect a Destination -> Macintosh HD -> Continue

5 Install Summary, Mac OS X will be installed on the "Macintosh HD" volume -> Install

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
So the installer sees the drive as empty, no OS X on it and is willing to install new.

Did you know that it erased all your files? Do you have a backup of those files?

I think now you have a hardware issue here.

You should get the installer to go as far as it can and if it fails again, then take it in to an Apple shop for eval so you cna get a really good assesment.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting