Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Have an HP 4050 laser printer connected by ethernet cable to

Customer Question

Have an HP 4050 laser printer connected by ethernet cable to Apple Extreme. It will not print. Previously it was connected to cisco router i replaced and now it does not print.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

If the Extreme is just using the Ethernet to show the Printer, nothing is needed.

HP LaserJets with a Ethernet JetDirect card are AppleTalk compatible. That means it just needs to be on the Ethernet port to show its existence.

I know, I have three here in my house, 2 are connected in one form or another to my Extreme which handles my Wired/Wireless networks.

So, an IP address is only needed IF you are now running Snow Leopard. That is because Apple dropped AppleTalk support completely in SL.

Is that what you have on your Mac? If so, I can help with the IP setup and get it working again.

Love my 4050's. Great stuff.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I would have thought so too, but, alas, no joy. I had Apple on the phone for an hour and could not figure it out. I had it hooked to a cisco before and it worked fine. Oddly, my wife has a mac working wirelessly and she has had no problem printing on the 4050. Crazy do you not think?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

But you don't say if YOU are using Snow Leopard?

Are you?