Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I moved all my music to an external harddrive, and now it doesnt

Customer Question

I moved all my music to an external harddrive, and now it doesn't show up in Itunes even though I told itunes where to find it with the Preferences thing. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, you have to do more than just tell iTunes you moved your files to the external drive. Once you've changed the Music Folder location, you need to go to your File menu in iTunes and under the Library option, select Organize Library. This will move all the files for you, and maintain your playlists and settings. At this point, you'll most likely need to reimport your library, which means you'll lose your playlists, but not your media. You can try putting your music back where it was to begin with, then try the organizing option, but that rarely works.

Here's the article from Apple Support describing the whole process:

Note that at the end when it mentions "Consolidate Library", it's referring to the "Organize Library" option, they're the same thing. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions about the issue.