Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I installed a Maxtor One Touch III Firewire 400/USB 2.0 500Gb

I installed a Maxtor One Touch III Firewire 400/USB 2.0 500Gb drive for backup purposes on my new iMac. It worked well for about a week but now cannot be powered up when the switch is turned-on. All connections have been checked and the surge protector which is the power source works with other parts of the system.

Is there a time-limit before registering the drive? What could be wrong? Will Maxtor replace the drive as defective/
David Straus
[email protected]

It sounds like the drive's enclosure has gone out. Maxtor should have a pretty good warrant on their product whether you registered it or not. They replaced mine after it was already a year old for a $20 replacement fee. You just need to go to their support website(which is actually Seagate's website since they bought Maxtor), and file a warranty claim. Here's the support site link:

Just go to the Warranty/Returns section of the page and follow the instructions. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.