Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My iMac wont reboot. I was trying to download some pictures

Customer Question

My iMac won't reboot. I was trying to download some pictures to iPhoto and program froze. Tried to go to "force quit" but could not force quit iTunes. So tried to reboot. I get the gray apple and the spinny circle and that's all. I tried to load Apple Hardware Test CD but now cannot eject it. Previous to this I had tried to zap the pram. Any thing you can do to help

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Does the Mac boots into the disk every time and not into desktop ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FIrst of all, I waited over an hour last night and then went to bed so I hope I'll still get a reply. Second while waiting for a reply I unplugged everything attached to computer including power cord. Now when it reboots I can hear the fan going which I've never been able to do so before.

The disk doesnot pop out no matter what I do. I get a gray screen and the twirling disk so I am no sure how to answer your question. What do you mean boot into the disk? It is obviously not taking me to the desktop.

In other words nothing is happening beside the gray screen, twirly disk and what sounds like a fan and cool air blowing out of the top of the computer which did not happen before I unplugged everything.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay....i understood. Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes but I can't get the disk in that is there now to install that disk, also I have company so my replies may be intermitent
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
First we can eject that disk and try troublehooting with the Mac OS X installation disks.
  • Restart your mac and immediately hold down the "eject" key on your keyboard untill the disc comes out.
  • Restart your mac and immediatly hold down the primary/left mouse button before the chime sound/grey screen appears. Keep it held down untill the disk comes out.

If you are able to eject the disk, then try the following ;

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc 1, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilitiesmenu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If that doesn't worked, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Archive and Install would take 1-2 hours...

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've retried both methods to eject disk again and neither will eject disk, I know that until I get that disk out I can't go further, any other suggestions about removing disk???

I am taking my guests out for breakfast so it will be more than an hour that I won't be available
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay.. I will be here for next two hours, i will look forward to your reply.

BTW, Which iMac is this ? Intel or PPC ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm back, Intel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would "openning" up the MAC help and possibly resetting memory sticks?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button till the disk ejects.

I don't think opening and resetting memory stick helps, because i think the issue is not related to memory..but with the OS X System files.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK restarted, held don option key,when gray apple and spinny thing appeared presses the eject button, held down but no disk ejected
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Try thisl
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command(Apple)- Option - O - F keys. (The Command key has an Apple on it.)
  3. Release the keys when you see a white welcome screen.
  4. At the prompt, type:
  5. eject cd

6. Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc, and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
  7. Type:
  8. mac-boot

9. Press Return.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a real mess, sorry
1) I do not hear the startup sound at all, have not heard it at anytime since this problem started last evening

2) All that happens is I get a gray screen than the darker gray apple and the whirley thing

3) following your directions this time I did hear the disk start to spin but nothing else

It seems there should be some mechanical way to eject the darn thing
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
There are some mechanical way, but not recommended. Here, check this Apple discussion. Its just like 'Do it at your own risk'

Edited by Ashik on 1/2/2010 at 7:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So where do I go from here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to your link, but nothing there worked :o{
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been nearly 24 answers going back and forth and my problem is not resolved so what is the next step????