Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

what is the maximum, best, and relatively simplest way to secure

what is the maximum, best, XXXXX XXXXX simplest way to secure your home wireless macs (macBook and macbookpro's there are 4 in the house). We have airport extreme, occasionally goes off green to blinking amber which causes concern but fixable...we have some major id theft & staulking problems we've had to deal with so all good ideas welcome (we are cable modemed to Cablevision, w/ last years upgrade to airport xtreme, passworded, and firevault encrypted is all...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
The simplest way to secure your wireless net work is with WPA2 wireless security, equip your AirPort Extreme with a name and password XXXXX only you can change the settings.
In this way you can lock out unwanted users, you can also hide the network so that only those who know the name won't even know it is there.
What do you mean it turns amber from time to time? Is it the internet dropping off line or is it the AirPort?
This is both an answer and an info request.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry for the delay, had no access to your answer, which I appreciate greatly...but as follow up, are you saying that I can configure my airport extreme such that it wont even show that a wireless network of mine exists out there (locked or not)?
The light on the front of the extreme reads either green or amber or flashing amber (at least so i believe) periodically the solid green light indication on and secure will go amber. I assume that means that airport is not secure at that time. What causes this? Is it the cable co,, its modem or what? I usually have to unplug and redo evrything which is hugely annoying. Also, because of legitimate security access concerns I worry about outside access messing with my airport ext. via the cable co's that doable/feasable?