Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I want to scan a document into my Mac (version 10.6.2) and

Customer Question

I want to scan a document into my Mac (version 10.6.2) and then edit it. Is that possible? How do I do it? Thank you.
Ron Taylor
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello Ron, my name is Dan.
What brand scanner is it?
What software are you using to scan?
Like PhotoShop in any form?
Are you new to Macs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a Canon MP600 that I purchased in an Apple store. I use the software that came with it to scan -- MP Navigator 3.0. No I don't have Photoshop. I manage my photos with iPhoto. I used PCs for at least 30 years, but switched to Mac about a year ago. There is a heck of a lot I don't know about it. Ron
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
iPhoto has simple editing abilities, I use PhotoShop Elements and or Graphic Converter (lousy name for what it does).
Both will handle tiff files with ease and change the format to your choice.
I do believe that Canon has a twain driver plugin for both those apps to go directly to the scanner without so many steps.
You say document so I assume it is a text that you want to scan and edit.
I use OmniPage when I want to do something like that. It has come a long way since it was introduced.
This site has the most popular picks.
For more info on what the differences are and how to get the most from your Mac I recommend this site about halfway down.
Hope that helps.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have PhotoShop Elements nor a Graphic Converter, at least as far as I know, but I gather I don't need either to do what I want to do. I have no idea what a "twain driver plugin' is, but I assume I don't need to know to accomplish what I want to accomplish. Yes, my document is text. It appears that you are suggesting that I go to the website you name and download one of the 5 programs listed, and once I do that I will know what to do. Is that correct? Can you recommend one of the programs?...perhaps OmniPage since it is the one you use? Are these programs free? If not, that's okay, as scanning text and editing it is something I need to do. As you can see, I am not terribly computer literate. I was hoping for a numbered list of steps I would need to go through. Thanks. Ron
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
OmniPage will have all the how to do the deed with the software and I think there is a try before you buy that I always recommend.
I will not buy a pig in a poke.
I cannot in good conscience try to step it out because that would be like the blind leading so to speak.
I have to relearn how every time I do it.
Just take your time and read all the docs, they will take you through it if they want to sell it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do as you suggest tomorrow. If it works and I can edit my document. I will promptly accept so you can be paid. I promise. Ron
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hope it all works out for you, lots of people do it but that is something I never really needed to do.
I await your success.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OmiPage is out at $500! ReadIRIS Pro OCR Software for MAC would appear to be perfect for $60. But it occurred to me that before ordering it, I should first go to the Apple software website and see what they had to offer for OCR. They listed a free program called VelOCRaptor. I downloaded it, and it worked great! Here is what I did, so you know next time someone contacts you with my question.

> Download VelOCRaptor from Apple website and open it.
> Scan document and save as PDF file.
> Drag and drop document from the Finder into open VelOCRaptor window.
> Copy the document and paste into blank word processing document (Microsoft Word).
> VOILA! The document can now be edited.

Sorry, Daniel, but you didn't really solve my problem. The answer was on the Apple software website.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I am glad that you found what you were looking for and letting me in on it is payment enough, thank you.