Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

two questions, 1. how can I see how big my hard drive is on

two questions, 1. how can I see how big my hard drive is on my mac, I can see via the finder that I have 10 gigs available, but can't figure out how big it was to begin with (like I can see on my iphone and ipod) I do need to free up some space, what is the best proceedure for that?

2. I use Kodak gallery for pictures, I can browse and highlight as many picutres as I want when using my pc to transfer pictures to the kodak website. but I cant seem to do that on my macbook, obviously still figuring out the differences between the two..when I am on the kodak website and try to download pictures, I hit the browse button and it won't even let me open up iphoto....
HelloCustomer my name is Dan.
You do indeed need to free up space on the drive if all you have is 10GB. Mac OS X requires free space to run correctly.
If it runs out of it it could lock up and make life very interesting.
You can find lots of information about your Mac in the System Profiler.
From the Apple menu select 'About this Mac' and then More info.
In the list on the left is where you choose the item you want information on, for your hard drive it will be in the ATA or SATA item depending on how new your system is.
I do suggest getting an external hard drive at least 250GB in size and then format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before putting it in service.
A simple thing to do, all the tools you need are already on your Mac.
This site will help you figure out a lot of the differences between the PC and Mac.
Look about halfway down and enjoy.
When you get the external drive let me know and I will help you get it formatted and files moved to free things up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ATA does not show me where my hard drive original size is. , I do have an external drive, 1 Terabite but of course not really sure how to use it. I use the mac website a lot, but it seems I'm going to have to take it into the genius bar to figure all this out....
Certainly not, your drive must be SATA. You really didn't give much information to go on.
As for the external you have that is a good choice for size.
Now to format it for use.
Open Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities or do the following.
Then just click on where it says top hit and you will see this.
Then to format the drive do the following.
After doing that then it is ready to use. If you want to also use it for Time Machine then you may want to partition the drive into 2 partitions of 500GB each, one for storage and one for Time Machine.
Let me know when you get that far.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its listed as ATA not SATA, seems odd that it doesn't just show it all with whats left like on the iphone. Will work on the external drive tomorrow, already have some things in it, how do I partition?
It can't be partitioned without erasing it nor can it be formatted.
Just what Mac do you have?
Look here.
Then tell me what yours says where the arrows point.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Macbook pro Mac OS X Version 10.6.2 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Ok, you have one of the late models with bells and whistles. So where do you want to go from here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have an appt with genius bar on Tuesday, Thank you for your help, but I think what I need is one on one in person where it's easier to communicate. Appreciate it tho!
I think that is always easier than long distance, I do my best but that sometimes isn't enough.
Thank you.